Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone know how to rename boot option?

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    So I installed Windows Vista and Fedora 7 Properly, that either system can be booted up on the start.

Here is the funny part - When the GRUB Boot menu comes up, the two names of operating system are as follows : Fedora 7 (of course) and "Other". I'm not sure if this is Fedora's way of using sense of humour of referring Windows as "The Other Operating System" (which would actually be funny lol), but at the moment, I want to know if there is anyway to rename the O/S selection option of "Other" to "Windows Vista".
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2
    If I wanted to change something in the GRUB, say the default OS or the length of the timer, I'd usually edit this file /boot/grub/menu.lst. I'm using Ubuntu, BTW. Right at the bottom of the file, I have this

Code (Text):

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title       Other operating systems:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/hda1
    title       Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root        (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    I suppose I could change the title part to whatever I want, but I'm not sure about it.
    You should probably consult other Fedora/Linux users before proceeding.
  4. Oct 22, 2007 #3
    Actually, if you had paid close attention when installing Fedora, the option was available to write whatever name you wanted to the Boot list.

This is the way a German group advices to carry out the task in Fedora.

Yes it is for Fedora 6 : but it is still relevant to what you asked.

5. Oct 27, 2007 #4
    Yep, you can rename it to whatever you want without breaking it. My grub menu has 2 linux kernels and "Windows Vista Super Home Business Platinum Pirate Edition 2000%".
  6. Oct 28, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

........if you don't have the menu.lst go for /boot/grub/grub.conf, which is actually what the link menu.lst points to.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?