Does anyone know how to read a .ps file?

Main Question or Discussion Point

My computer can't read these files and I was wondering if you know a safe site I can download a program to read them? thanks..

(sorry I posted this in the sub-form, thought it would get more responses here)

Answers and Replies

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My computer can't read these files and I was wondering if you know a safe site I can download a program to read them? thanks..

(sorry I posted this in the sub-form, thought it would get more responses here)
I use Ghostscript. You can google it and download it for free

EDIT: www.ghostscript.com

If I remember correctly Google knows how to convert postscript to html, so if you can find a .ps file which is indexed by google (or maybe if you just type its url into the google search box) you may be able to read a converted version of the .ps file on google.com. However formatting will be all messed up...

The built in "Preview" program on mac os x can open postscript files but it is very slow at it.

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Better yet, use notepad. If you want a better editor I would suggest Notepad++. Work's with everything. Download here: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/download.php
You must have posted the wrong thread; Notepad++ is a text editor; NOT what the OP asked about.

I agree with nrqed, download Ghostscript and Ghostview (you'll need both).
Adobe Acrobat can also read postscript files, although it does it by first converting them to PDF files.

minger
Science Advisor
You can also use something like ps2pdf to convert, but like some others said, many use ghostscript to view.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You must have posted the wrong thread; Notepad++ is a text editor; NOT what the OP asked about.
Well he did ask if anything could read .ps not render it ;-)

Notepad++ will do syntax highlighting of a ps file