Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone know the symbol for a vertical subset symbol Latex help

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know the symbol for a vertical subset symbol?? i.e the equivalent of \subseteq
    but which points up (i also need one which points down)?? Thank for the help

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean union and intersection? \cup and \cap

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  4. Oct 5, 2007 #3
    no no. what Im trying to achieve is like a commutative diagram but with with "subset" symbols instead of arrros. So for example, one of the ros may be A\subseteq B. I need the analogue of this but for columns. The \cup and \cap sublos wont do, for they dont have a slash next to them, indicating the possibility of equality...

5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe you should use the rotating package for LaTeX.

6. Oct 5, 2007 #5
    How do I do that?? Is there a specific functon that allow me to rotate any given symbol??

7. Oct 6, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Oct 7, 2007 #7
    Thank you ver much for your help..However, for some reason when I try to use the rotating package, it simply doesnt work. I type the command to rotate (after loading the package) and it simply doesn't rotate, it just prints the symbol (or any other text when I try) normally. I don't get an error message either. If comment out the line \usepackage{rotating} then I do get an error which I guess means it recognise the command \begin{rotating}...

has any ever had a similar problem?

9. Oct 7, 2007 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It might be that the dvi viewer doesn't recognize what is happening.
    Try to convert the dvi to ps or pdf, then view accordingly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?