Does charging my phone increase its gravitational force?

In summary, according to the theory of general relativity, all forms of energy, including mass, contribute to the gravitational field. Charging your cellphone battery increases its energy, and therefore its mass and gravitational force, due to the rearrangement of atoms and the associated changes in energy. This change in mass is too small to be detected, but it is an important concept in understanding the relationship between energy and mass.
Ebi
TL;DR Summary
Is this statement correct: "when I charge my mobile phone, according to E=mc^2, its mass increases, consequently, its gravitational force increases".
If the statement above is correct, I do not understand this concept. I guess by charging my phone I am not producing matter. Does it mean in this case, energy converts to mass (not matter)? Can someone please explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
##E=mc^2## is rather too simplistic for this, but basically yes. All forms of energy, not just mass, are sources of gravity in general relativity. Storing chemical potential energy in the battery does therefore increase its mass and its gravitational field, at least according to theory. The effect is indetectably small.

Likes DaveE, Ebi Rogha and PeterDonis
Mass is rest energy. It does not require something to be produced as ”matter”. The additional mass of your charged battery is mainly due to the increase in its internal energy.

In addition, ”energy” is not a thing that converts into other things. It is a property of different systems that is conserved when accounting for all contributions. What ##E=mc^2## really tells you is how the inertia of a system in its reat frame relates to its rest energy.

Likes Ebi Rogha
Ebi said:
Summary:: Is this statement correct: "when I charge my mobile phone, according to E=mc^2, its mass increases, consequently, its gravitational force increases".

If the statement above is correct, I do not understand this concept. I guess by charging my phone I am not producing matter. Does it mean in this case, energy converts to mass (not matter)? Can someone please explain this?

Your cellphone battery can be thought of as being composed of atoms. You have the same number of atoms before and after charging it, but their arrangement is different. The differing arrangements of atoms have different energies. This translates to a difference in rest masses. Important to this argument is that the cellphone's momentum is zero before and after charging it, which is a necessary condition for the formula E=mc^2 to work. If the momentum wasn't zero, one would need the more general formula

E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2

where E is the Energy, m is the mass, p is the momentum, and c is the speed of light. When p=0, the more general formula reduces to E=mc^2.

To understand how the arrangement of atoms changes the energy, it is at least helpful and probably necessary to realize that energy is not just present in particles (in this case atoms), but in fields as well. We do not create or destroy atoms by charging the cellphone, but we do rearange them. At the atomic level, the chemical energy can be thought of as being associated with the electromagnetic fields that bind the atoms together.

The change in mass due to chemical binding energy is extremely small, too small for experiment to measure. Changes in mass due to changes in nuclear, rather than chemical, binding energy are large enough to be measured, though.

• Informative
Likes Ebi Rogha, PeterDonis, Ibix and 1 other person

1. Does charging my phone increase its gravitational force?

No, charging your phone does not increase its gravitational force. Gravitational force is determined by the mass and distance between two objects, not by the charge of an object.

2. Is there any scientific evidence that charging a phone affects its gravitational force?

No, there is no scientific evidence that charging a phone affects its gravitational force. Gravitational force is a fundamental force of nature and is not affected by the charging process of a phone.

3. Can charging my phone while using it cause a change in its gravitational force?

No, charging your phone while using it will not cause a change in its gravitational force. As mentioned before, gravitational force is not affected by the charge of an object.

4. Does the type of charger used affect the gravitational force of a phone?

No, the type of charger used does not affect the gravitational force of a phone. Gravitational force is determined by the mass and distance between two objects, not by the type of charger used.

5. Will keeping my phone plugged in all the time increase its gravitational force?

No, keeping your phone plugged in all the time will not increase its gravitational force. As mentioned before, gravitational force is determined by the mass and distance between two objects, not by the charging status of an object.