Does Colour Affect Light Absorption in Infrared Radiation?

In summary, an object that appears blue in visible light may absorb more IR radiation than an object that appears red.
eightsquare
First, let me see if my facts are straight. White coloured objects reflect more light of ALL frequencies than black coloured objects, including infrared, etc. Hence a white coloured object is cooler than a black coloured object. If visible light was the only factor, a blue room would be cooler than a red room as blue light has more energy. I"m assuming same wall area and intensity of light. I wanted to know about the trends of these colours in infrared absorption. Does blue absorb less infrared than red? In a more realistic situation where the sun"s rays are incident on a wall, will a blue coloured wall be still be cooler now that other frequencies of light are also incident? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
The amount of IR light absorbed by an object does not depend on how well it absorbs visible frequencies. For example, a black trash bag is transparent to IR light.

The fact that an object looks white (in visible light) does not guarantee that it will reflect well in infrared or any other frequency range.
I don't think there is any trend. You just have to look at the specific absorption spectrum.
An object may be blue (or red) for different reasons.

The association between colors and "hot" and "cold" is not a physical one but rather psychological.

Edit. I did not know that Drakkith is already on it. :)

Thanks guys! So two objects that look exactly the same to us(say blue in colour) can absorb different amounts of IR radiation?

It's a good idea to avoid using the word 'colour' in any quantitative discussion in Physics except when the subject is 'perception' (and that won't be Physics). The eye is a really rubbish measuring instrument (spectrometer) and you cannot rely on it to tell you the right thing.

eightsquare said:
Thanks guys! So two objects that look exactly the same to us(say blue in colour) can absorb different amounts of IR radiation?
yes.

Ok great, thanks.

1. What is color and how is it created?

Color is the visual sensation produced by different wavelengths of light. It is created when light reflects off of an object and enters our eyes, triggering different color-sensitive cells in our retinas.

2. How do objects absorb light and what determines the color we see?

Objects absorb light when the molecules within them absorb certain wavelengths of light and reflect others. The color we see is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected off of the object. For example, a red object absorbs all wavelengths except for red, which it reflects, making it appear red to our eyes.

3. What is the relationship between light absorption and color?

The relationship between light absorption and color is that objects absorb certain wavelengths of light and reflect others, which gives them their color. The more light an object absorbs, the darker its color appears, and the less light it absorbs, the lighter its color appears.

4. How does the color of an object change when it is exposed to different light sources?

The color of an object can change when it is exposed to different light sources because different light sources emit different wavelengths of light. For example, fluorescent lights emit more blue light, which can make colors appear cooler, while incandescent lights emit more yellow light, which can make colors appear warmer.

5. How does light absorption play a role in the perception of color?

Light absorption plays a crucial role in the perception of color because it is the process that allows us to see different colors. Without light absorption, objects would appear colorless and our world would be dull and monochromatic.