1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does every group whose order is a power of .

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    Does every group whose order is a power of .....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does every group whose order is a power of a prime p contain an element of order p?

2. Relevant equations

I'm trying to get away with only using Lagrange's Theorem and a corollary thereof.

3. The attempt at a solution

Seems like I'm almost there. How do I seal the deal? Thanks in advance, brahs.

screen-capture-1-36.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Does every group whose order is a power of .....

You could use Cauchy's theorem, but that's overkill for this problem. Sure, finish your approach. If m is the order of some element g, then the group generated by g is a subgroup of order p^k for some k. And the subgroup generated by g is CYCLIC. Use that!

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3

The subgroup generated by g is <g>={..., -g2, -g, 1, g, g2, ...}, which is the smallest subgroup of G that contains g, and has order pk for some integer k≥0. Since pk is not infinite, the elements of <g> are not distinct, so .......... am I getting somewhere?

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think we are using multiplicative notation here. The distinct elements of the subgroup generated by g are {e,g,g^2,...g^(p^k-1)} since g^(p^k)=e. Now get somewhere with that. Isn't there an element of order p in there?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. Oct 12, 2011 #5

*pssst* .... What's e?

7. Oct 12, 2011 #6

e = indentity element of group G

8. Oct 12, 2011 #7

Got it.

Can you explain once more where we got {1, g, g2, ..., gpk-1}.

My book says "Let <x> be the cyclic group of a group G generated by an element x, and let S denote the set of integers k such that xk=1.

[...]

Suppose that S is not the trivial subgroup. Then S = Zn for some positive integer n. The powers 1,x,x2,...,xn-1 are the distinct elements of the subgroup <x>, and the order of <x> is n."

But I'm a little confused by it.

9. Oct 13, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The subgroup generated by g is just the collection of all distinct powers of g. It's a subgroup since (g^a)(g^b)=g^(a+b). If the order of g is 5 then that's {1,g,g^2,g^3,g^4}. No use listing g^5 since that's 1 or g^6 since g^6=g^5*g=g. Now your case is order g equal to p^k.This is simple enough that I wouldn't spend a lot of time confusing yourself about it.

10. Oct 13, 2011 #9

This right?

screen-capture-2-24.png

11. Oct 13, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think g^p has order p???? And that's not generally correct. Proofs usually involve giving reasons. What's (g^p)^p? Why would that be 1?

12. Oct 13, 2011 #11

Never mind. So I'm looking for an element in {1, g, g2, ..., gpk-1} that has order p, i.e., the cyclic subgroup generated by that element this element has p elements. So if I let x be that element, the cyclic subgroup generated by x is {1, x, x2, ..., xp-1}. Am I right?

13. Oct 13, 2011 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. You want x^p=1. Which nonidentity element of {1, g, g2, ..., gpk-1} might have that property? Think about exponents ok? (g^a)^p=g^(ap) right? THINK!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook