1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Groups whose order is a power of a prime

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does every group whose order is a power of a prime p contain an element of order p?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know it certainly can contain an element of order p. I also feel that
    |G|=|H|[G:H] might be useful. Any help is appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2
    Hmm, cool problem. I think the answer is yes, but I haven't thought it through completely, and more importantly I want to know your ideas. Have you tried using any of the corollaries of Lagrange's theorem that deal with the order (of a group or of an element in a group).
  4. Sep 16, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's called Cauchy's theorem.
  5. Sep 16, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cauchy's theorem is overkill for this.

You can pick an arbitrary element of the group and construct an element of order p from it
  6. Sep 16, 2010 #5
    True. But we haven't got to the part about the center of a group yet.
  7. Sep 16, 2010 #6
    Yes I figured it out! That's what I did! Thanks!
  8. Sep 16, 2010 #7
    I figured it out. I just picked an element g of the group and proved that there is an element in <g> that has order p.
  9. Sep 16, 2010 #8
    Okay yeah I was slightly confused. At first I kept thinking that G had an order that was a multiple of p, and the tools I had did not solve it completely. When I realized that you actually stated ord(G) = p^n, I could do it (namely by using a^ord(G) = e and the fact that if a^m = e then ord(a)|m).

Then Dick mentioned Cauchy's Theorem, so I briefly glanced at a proof on wikipedia and noticed that the tools used were more advanced. Finally I realized that Cauchy's Theorem is what I originally had in mind. So I guess the only thing left to do now is learn Cauchy's Theorem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook