Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Everything have a charge?

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    Hello,
    I was trying to understand what light really is in definition and that means that I have to understand more basic stuff. I am trying to figure out what charge is and what is the difference between energy and charge? On Wikipedia, I read that "Electric charge is the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field." So does that mean that everything has a charge?

Also, any website that explains the terms from a theoretical perspective? I took Physics 12 in high school so I know a little bit about the concepts. What is a electromagnetic field? etc...

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2
    Neutrons have neutral charge.

4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    Do you and I have a charge?

5. Nov 7, 2014 #4
    You are made up of atoms(as you may have noticed,please tell me how if you did) and atoms are inthem selves nuetral only ions charged atoms that have lost or gained electrons are charged. So no you are not charged, as long as you don't rubb your selve on elctric poles all day.

6. Nov 7, 2014 #5
    So we all have electrical charge? and so does every object in the world, but it can be either positive or negative, or sum up to 0? In the Wikipedia, it says that there's only two types of charges; positive or negative.

7. Nov 7, 2014 #6
    No we do not we have no charge we are neutral.

8. Nov 7, 2014 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Every object has a net charge. That net charge can be positive, negative or zero. If the total quantity of positive charge (e.g. from protons or from positive ions) is equal to the total quantity of negative charge (e.g. from electrons or from negative ions) then the net charge will be zero.

For most purposes, the net charge of a human being is not distinguishable from zero.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  9. Nov 7, 2014 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, do you mean by "have a charge". In your original post, you quoted "Electric charge is the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field." There are many things that do NOT "experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field"! You are sitting in an "electromagnetic field" right now. Do you experience a force from it?

Many of the elementary particles that make up our bodies are neutral. And while there exist charged particles (electrons and neutrons), in molecules, there must be equal numbers so that the overall charge is neutral.

10. Nov 7, 2014 #9
    neutrinos have no charge

11. Nov 7, 2014 #10
    We are all made up of atoms.every atom is made up of protons, electrons and neutrons. But the net charge is zero.you are made up of charged particles. But the positive and negative charge cancels out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook