1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does f mean the same thing as f(x) ?

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    Does "f" mean the same thing as "f(x)"??

I'm wondering if [tex]f[/tex] means the same thing as [tex]f(x)[/tex]. Does [tex]f[/tex] refer more to the graph and f(x) refers to the y-coordinate of the graph?

Which one should I use to complete this sentence?:

___ is increasing on interval (-1,2)

or

___ has a relative minimum at x=0.

My book uses [tex]f[/tex] but my teacher uses [tex]f(x)[/tex] so I'm wondering if my teacher would mark me off if I used [tex]f[/tex]. Probably not right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    Also, the minimums and maximums are y-values right? My teacher says that if the question asks "what is the min/max?" the answer should be given in the y-value. If the question asks "where is the min/max?" the answer should be given in the x-value.

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    f is a "rule" of assigning values to every member of a set called the domain of f, to a unique member of another set called the co-domain of f. This "f" is a function. (Well, that was not a very precise definition, but it'll do for now.)

f(x) refers to the value that f takes at x. In other words, it is a single point.

I've seen some people (and some books) say something along the lines of "Let f(x) be a function...". But that's not right. It's f that is the function.

An extremum occurs at certain points where f' is zero. As the name suggests, a maximum (or minimum), is the greatest (or lowest) value that the function takes within a specific interval. Therefore it refers to f(x) (or y, if you prefer), where f'(x) = 0. Where this value occurs...that's at x.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also, questions often ask for the coordinate of the maximum or intersection, etc.
    I would always try to write down the answer like
    "The maximum/minimum/intersection/... is (y value) at x = (x value)"
    then you always give enough information.

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

"...f which for every x value assigns the value x squared". =] I still don't think thats completely right, but you get my drift :P

7. Oct 29, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would be correct to say "Let f be a function such that f(x)= x2". There are some mathematicians who advocate the form f( )= ( )2. I'm not quite ready for that!

Typo: "it refers to f(x) (or y, if you prefer)" NOT f'(x) or y'.

Strictly speaking "f" refers to the function itself (which does not necessarily have anything to do with a "graph") while f(x) refers to a specific value of the function. But the notation is "abused" frequently.

Strictly speaking, both of those should be f.

I wouldn't mark off for either but if you are concerned go with what your teacher uses- the author of your text book isn't grading you! (Or you could just ask your teacher!)

8. Oct 29, 2007 #7
    I disagree. The first one should be f and the second should be f(x), else minimum at x=0 would not make much sense (as f may not necessarily operate on x).

9. Oct 29, 2007 #8
    :blushing:
    Thank you very much, Halls. :)

10. Oct 29, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Gosh, I disagree with you! "f has a minimum at x= 0" makes sense because we had already been told that f is a function of x (i.e. we are using x to represent the independent variable). To say that "f(x) has a minimum at x=0" would not make sense because f(x) is a number (the value of f at some specific x) and it doesn't make sense to say that a number has a minimum!

(Pistols at thirty paces?)

11. Oct 29, 2007 #10
    Where?
    f(x) is a function in x, it is not a unique number, rather, it depends on x. So f(x) can be argued to mean that it is a number dependent on x, and this number attains a minimum at x=0.

Pistols at wha?

12. Oct 29, 2007 #11

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The notion of relative maximum depends on [itex]f[/itex] on [itex](-\epsilon,\epsilon)[/itex], so it would probably be better to use [itex]f[/itex] there.

As with many other notations, it's common to play fast and loose, and rely on context. It's not so much of an issue with [itex]f[/itex] but the trailing parens are sometimes used to indicate that something is a function. This is popular in parametric notation with [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]y(t)[/itex] or when denoting paths [itex]\gamma(t)[/itex].

Aside from context, there's really no good method to distinguish between [itex]x(t)[/itex] referring to a function and the same expression referring to a single value. [itex]f(x)[/itex] is less likely to refer to a function, but you're not likely to confuse anyone by using it that way as long as there is sufficient context. ([itex]\gamma(t)[/itex] by contrast is more likely to be a function.)

13. Oct 29, 2007 #12
    f is the set of ordered pairs {(a,b),...}, where each a is in the domain of f and b is the image of a under the mapping f. In particular, if a=x, then b=f(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?