Does Fukushima change anything?

• Fukushima
  • Thread starter Ken Natton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary: No, they are not new, they will play on the same old fears.I agree and will expand and then throw in a big caveat:While this does change the risk calculus somewhat and provide lessons for how to improve safety even more, nuclear power is still orders of magnitude safer than it's primary competitor (coal power) in terms of both death toll and environmental damage. So it won't change the conclusion of an objective technical analysis.
Borek said:
When it comes to panicking public not understanding the science behind - it will just add to the arsenal of demagogic arguments, but I would not classify them as new, they will play on the same old fears.
Panicking public? Not understanding science? What are you talking about?

CsDomUQ-fYM[/youtube] Clearly, B...h thing as magic. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:

CsDomUQ-fYM[/youtube] Clearly, B... why I don't respect the system... :rolleyes:

nismaratwork said:
She is so damned obnoxious... and to think she was a prosecutor.

...And the judge for jury duty had to ask why I don't respect the system... :rolleyes:

i would go further and say she's evil. i just can't stand to watch her. i don't think I've ever seen her entertain a presumption of innocence on any accused. they should probably not allow crime victims to be prosecutors.

Proton Soup said:
i would go further and say she's evil. i just can't stand to watch her. i don't think I've ever seen her entertain a presumption of innocence on any accused. they should probably not allow crime victims to be prosecutors.

That might not be a bad notion... I don't really believe in evil, but she's more than a little deranged.

Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable. What is disturbing is that someone like her has the voice that she has. I’m aware of the dubious nature of drawing comparisons like this, but it seems to me that someone like her would never be allowed to anchor a news program in the UK. UK news agencies are almost obsessive about the neutrality of their newsreaders. The newsreaders deliver the news with gravity, with dispassion and with authority and never, ever comment. Certainly never demonstrate their own ignorance in the way that she does here. The problem with this comes when she has some important local news story to deliver, her authority is totally undermined.

Gokul43201 said:

CsDomUQ-fYM[/youtube] Clearly, B...L]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/faint.gif[/PLAIN]

I am typingless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
[URL]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/faint.gif[/URL]

I am typingless.

Did Jerry Brown really declare an emergency in California?

Borek said:
[URL]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/faint.gif[/URL]

I am typingless.

That's actually pretty sane by her standards...

She and Glenn Beck should be locked in a small dark room with a rabid weasel, and night vision cameras watching.

Now that would be TV worth watching.

WhoWee said:
Did Jerry Brown really declare an emergency in California?

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/bay-area/2011/03/jerry-brown-declares-state-emergency-four-counties-after-tsunami-strikes

It would seem that he did so in four counties that were hit by large waves, and unrelated to nuclear fears.

nismaratwork said:
She and Glenn Beck should be locked in a small dark room with a rabid weasel, and night vision cameras watching.

Now that would be TV worth watching.
That would be a short video. She would kill Beck and the weasel within 5 min.

Al68 said:
That would be a short video. She would kill Beck and the weasel within 5 min.

Then make it a dozen rabid wolverines... remember, she only needs to be bitten...

nismaratwork said:
Then make it a dozen rabid wolverines... remember, she only needs to be bitten...
You seriously think she's susceptible to rabies?

OMG this is so far off topic, but I do know of a few possible raccoons I could toss into the mix.

Gokul43201 said:

CsDomUQ-fYM[/youtube] Clearly, B...News Channel altogether... or sell it to Fox!

Ivan Seeking said:
No doubt, CNN Headline News is garbage. Nancy Grace is a nut.

Not to be confused with the main CNN News Channel, but a huge black mark for CNN to be sure. They should just kill the Headline News Channel altogether... or sell it to Fox!

What I LOVE is Jane Valez-Mitchel... OK, I think she stinks, but she tries to out-Nancy Grace Nancy Grace... which is a bit like trying to out-murder Stalin. :rolleyes:

What's so amazing about Grace is that she's not acting, like Beck, she's just an emotional husk and an intellectual wasteland.

hypatia said:
OMG this is so far off topic, but I do know of a few possible raccoons I could toss into the mix.

Keep that .22 holstered! :wink:

Al68 said:
You seriously think she's susceptible to rabies?

:rofl:

She seems like some form of rodent... or maybe a really permanantly angry crocodilian so maybe not.

@Borek: Amen to that brother.

nismaratwork said:
What I LOVE is Jane Valez-Mitchel... OK, I think she stinks, but she tries to out-Nancy Grace Nancy Grace... which is a bit like trying to out-murder Stalin. :rolleyes:

What's so amazing about Grace is that she's not acting, like Beck, she's just an emotional husk and an intellectual wasteland.

That video ticked me off so much that I fired off a very nasty letter to CNN. I think people like Blitzer do a respectable job, but someone like Grace disgraces the entire organization. I stopped watching Headline News long ago and didn't realize how bad it had gotten.

I'm sure it was my letter that got Rick Sanchez fired. My letter about Grace was even worse, much worse, so don't worry about; I handled things. She's history. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
That video ticked me off so much that I fired off a very nasty letter to CNN. I think people like Blitzer do a respectable job, but someone like Grace disgraces the entire organization. I stopped watching Headline News long ago and didn't realize how bad it had gotten.

I'm sure it was my letter that got Rick Sanchez fired. My letter about Grace was even worse, much worse, so don't worry about; I handled things. She's history. :biggrin:

Heh... oh Rick "Tase me, Tweet me!" Sanchez... what the hell were they thinking?

Spitzer, now that was a real "get" for CNN, but Piers Morgan? Que El Explativiedeleted!

Ivan Seeking said:
Not to be confused with the main CNN News Channel, but a huge black mark for CNN to be sure. They should just kill the Headline News Channel altogether... or sell it to Fox!
They did drop the "CNN" bit from their name a few years ago, when they morphed into HLN. At least for the sake of appearances, they are no longer sister stations.

Edit: More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLN_(TV_channel)

PS: Sorry for the derailment. Hope we can bring this back on topic.

nismaratwork said:
Heh... oh Rick "Tase me, Tweet me!" Sanchez... what the hell were they thinking?

Kyra Phillips is the next one on my list. I warned her to straighten up but she didn't listen.

Spitzer, now that was a real "get" for CNN,

Yes! Note that Parker is gone. It is now called In The Arena... I think.

Regarding the op, yes. Beyond a doubt, yes.

article-1367684-0B3BF1E700000578-880_472x491.jpg

Overwhelmed Tokyo Electric Power Company Managing Director Akio Komiri cries as he leaves after a press conference in Fukushima
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3209230&postcount=1176