Does Geophysics major require a lot of Math?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of the amount of math involved in geophysics as compared to other sciences like physics and astronomy, as well as the practical uses and applications of math in geophysics. The individual expresses their interest in math and problem-solving, but also mentions their concern about finding a career that is financially stable and fulfilling. They also mention their desire to find a balance between their interests and responsibilities. The conversation suggests that geophysics may be a good fit for someone with a strong interest in math, as it involves travel and the opportunity to develop new computational techniques and solve problems. However, the individual also wonders if choosing a major in pure math may be a more suitable option. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the
pnptruong
Hi,

I'm a high school senior who has strong a interest in Math(taking DE in my senior year). After doing some research on the Geophysical engineering program at the local university: Colorado School of Mines, I think that geophysics is a very interesting because it involves a lot of travels and it is the hybrid of many sciences.

However, what I wonder is whether geophysics is the "black sheep" among the sciences. So do you think that the curriculum of geophysics is as demanding as sciences like Physics and Astronomy? Does it involve a lot of advanced math? I just want to feel challenged in my college years.

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. At my university, the uppermost required math courses are Engineering Math, Introduction to Partial Differential Equations, and Introduction to Complex Analysis. I'm a bit surprised by the Complex Analysis course.

Shackleford said:
I'm a bit surprised by the Complex Analysis course.
A lot of oil has been found using Fourier analysis techniques. Without that complex analysis course, the Fourier analyses you most likely will do will just be cookbook math.

D H said:
A lot of oil has been found using Fourier analysis techniques. Without that complex analysis course, the Fourier analyses you most likely will do will just be cookbook math.

I see. I figured there would be a practical use for it. I'm a Physics BS and I remember that Introduction to Complex Analysis is a prerequisite for one of the graduate Physics MS courses.

So geophysics has as much math as physics and astronomy?

Does it really matter?

As I have stated, I'm choosing a major for college and geophysics appears to be a good fit for me. I just want to make sure I will do a lot of math in geophysics as math is my favorite subject and I want to be challenged in my college years.

In addition, I also want to see if quantitative and programming skills geophysics majors have are comparable to those of the physics and astronomy majors so that employers from non-traditional fields like finances and banking view geophysics majors the same as those "noble science" majors like physics and astronomy.

Thank you for your insights!

pnptruong said:
I just want to make sure I will do a lot of math in geophysics as math is my favorite subject and I want to be challenged in my college years.

Do you like using math only as a tool, or are you interested in why it works?

Sure, a physics undergrad will take an analysis, algebra, or topology course here and there, but it's not their priority. You'll spend way more time with E&M, thermodynamics, mechanics, etc. And, once you take a few upper level courses in the math and physics departments, you'll notice how different a physicist and a mathematician approach math.

It all boils down to how you answer the question I posed.

I'm talking about geophysics here. I'm interested in developing computational techniques and problem solving (like doing number theory problems or working on proofs.)

Sounds like you want to be a math major.

Yeah I used to consider Math as a major. However, math is not in my plan anymore as I realize I'm not as good as a lot of people( I immigrated from an Asian country, so I have seen so many math beasts in my life), and a BS in Math won't help me get a job making enough money to feed my family. My old parents won't last that long to see me complete my PhD in math.

So, well, responsibility is above interest in my case. But I'm trying to find the balance by finding the applied science, engineering field that employs the most math.
Geophysics appears to be a good fit for me since I like to travel.
The purpose of this thread is just to make sure that geophysics majors will do a lot of math.

pnptruong said:
I'm talking about geophysics here. I'm interested in developing computational techniques and problem solving (like doing number theory problems or working on proofs.)

Yup, you need to major in PURE math then. Number theory is absolutely useless to any type of physics. Same with proofs. Physics majors usually aren't too keen on the rigorous proofs in upper-level math classes.

I know that I sound like a pure math major. But as I said above, a major in Math is not in my plan anymore because it's not a realistic option. I just want to find a science/engineering major that does not just simply apply the existent equations and laws, but also gives me an opportunity the develop new computational techniques and use creativity to solve problems.

pnptruong said:
I know that I sound like a pure math major. But as I said above, a major in Math is not in my plan anymore because it's not a realistic option. I just want to find a science/engineering major that does not just simply apply the existent equations and laws, but also gives me an opportunity the develop new computational techniques and use creativity to solve problems.

OK, you referenced number theory and proofs specifically, and that is why I mentioned pure math. In regards to those, there is NO other major that will get into proofs or number theory other than math majors.

Engineering and science is all about solving problems, so you'll see that in whatever sub-discipline you decide to go in.

Developing new computational techniques? Sounds like you might like numerical analysis. That's part of what applied math majors study.

I would bet that if math is what you want to do, you can find enough math in geophysics to occupy you for the rest of your life. But if you have specific requirements like I only want to do purely mathematical proofs in topics in topology, well then you may have some decisions to make.

If you're really good at math then there is a place for you in geophysics, and if you're simply OK at maths there is a place for you in geophysics too.

My advice to you if you want to go down the mathematical route would be to do an undergrad in maths or physics and then apply to do geophysics for a PhD. That route is open to you because when you get to PhD level there are a lot of projects that involve algorithm development in geophysics and if you're really good at maths you will probably be favoured over a geophysicist with minimal mathematical knowledge, but you need to make sure that you take some courses in geology, rock, and fluid mechanics as an undergrad and probably some seismology as well.

Seismology is where the money is at the moment. Cutting edge stuff is full waveform tomography, and reverse time migration. There is certainly a lot of maths and physics behind that stuff.

Although if you really want to make money you should get into the interpretation of the seismic image. To do that you would really want to do a lot of geology, so thath would be the less mathematical route.

1. How much math is involved in a Geophysics major?

A Geophysics major typically requires a significant amount of math, including courses in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. These courses are essential for understanding geophysical concepts and data analysis.

2. Can I major in Geophysics if I'm not good at math?

While a strong foundation in math is important for success in a Geophysics major, it is not the only factor. Other skills, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, are also crucial. If you struggle with math, you may need to put in extra effort, but it is still possible to succeed in a Geophysics major.

3. What math courses are required for a Geophysics major?

The exact math courses required for a Geophysics major may vary depending on the university or program. However, most programs will require courses in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. Some may also require courses in computer programming and geostatistics.

4. Do I need to have prior knowledge of math before pursuing a Geophysics major?

While it is helpful to have a strong foundation in math before starting a Geophysics major, it is not always necessary. Many programs offer introductory math courses to help students build the necessary skills for more advanced math courses. However, it is important to have a willingness to learn and put in the effort to succeed in math courses.

5. How can I prepare for the math requirements in a Geophysics major?

If you are considering a Geophysics major and are concerned about the math requirements, it is helpful to brush up on your math skills before starting the program. You can also seek out resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, or study groups to help you improve your math skills. Additionally, having a positive attitude and a growth mindset can go a long way in helping you succeed in math courses.