Does gravity stop accelerating objects once they are in contact with

In summary: No, I don't think that's how it works. Gravity does gradually pull us down, but it's not something that happens suddenly. Gravity does gradually pull us down, but it's not something that happens suddenly.
DCLawrence00
Does gravity stop accelerating objects once they are in contact with Earth's surface? If so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org

DCLawrence00 said:
Does gravity stop accelerating objects once they are in contact with Earth's surface? If so, why?

The Pauli Exclusion principle ?

DCLawrence00 said:

Once the object hits the ground, the ground exerts an upward force on the object, called the normal force.

In the case where the object falls on a flat part of the Earth (no incline), the normal force directly opposes gravity and is equal, in strength, to the gravitational force.

Therefore, the net force on the object is 0 and by Newton's second law, it's acceleration is also 0.

Thanks G01, that makes sense. That leads me to another question. Why aren't people greatly affected (physically) by the force of gravity and normal force acting on them at all times from opposite directions? Is it due to gravity being such a weak force?

DCLawrence00 said:
Thanks G01, that makes sense. That leads me to another question. Why aren't people greatly affected (physically) by the force of gravity and normal force acting on them at all times from opposite directions? Is it due to gravity being such a weak force?

This is just because our bodies are built to withstand such forces on a daily basis. Essentially, we don't "feel squashed" because our bodies can handle these forces and we've lived with them since the first day of our lives.

For the same reason, we don't notice the weight of the air in the atmosphere pressing down on us. Even though atmospheric pressure is 14.6psi, we don't notice a huge force pushing down on our heads. Once, again, our bodies are just used to it and built to withstand it.

Thanks for your answers, G01!

DCLawrence00 said:

You must be quite young. The older you get, the more you will see how gravity affects your body.

brocks said:
You must be quite young. The older you get, the more you will see how gravity affects your body.

I thought it was a fundamental law of physics that old people had a greater attraction to the ground...isn't that why they like to sit down alot?

It's also why you see those TV commercials for medical-alert devices: "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Drakkith said:
I thought it was a fundamental law of physics that old people had a greater attraction to the ground...isn't that why they like to sit down alot?

I think this is also the reason you shrink as you get older.

Hrmmm...by this reasoning, if I live long enough I will turn into a Black Hole.

drakkith said:
hrmmm...by this reasoning, if i live long enough i will turn into a black hole.

lol!

1. Does gravity stop accelerating objects once they are in contact with another object?

No, gravity continues to act on objects even after they are in contact with another object. This is because gravity is a force that acts between any two objects with mass.

2. How does gravity affect objects in contact with each other?

Gravity causes objects to attract each other and pull towards one another. This force of attraction is what keeps objects in contact with each other, such as the force between the Earth and an object on its surface.

3. Does the weight of an object change when it is in contact with another object due to gravity?

Yes, the weight of an object changes when it is in contact with another object due to gravity. This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, and this force can change depending on the distance and mass of the objects involved.

4. Can gravity cause objects to stop moving?

Yes, gravity can cause objects to stop moving. This is because gravity is a force that acts on objects in motion, causing them to accelerate towards each other. Once the objects are in contact, they may stop moving if there is no other force acting on them.

5. Does gravity only affect objects on Earth?

No, gravity affects all objects with mass, regardless of their location. The strength of gravity may vary depending on the mass of the objects and the distance between them, but it exists everywhere in the universe.