1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Does having a BS in physics make it easier to become an X-ray/MRI technician?

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    I was wondering if the schooling required to become one of these might be shorter if you already have a degree in a hard science. If not, are there any professional jobs for which a physics BS is at least a definite advantage? I'm only interested for financial reasons.

Thank you,
    Michael

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The answer is likely school-specific. Generally, x-ray or MRI tech courses are 2-3 year college programs that you can get into right out of high school. In these cases, a BSc in physics will not likely give you any major time advantage.

I know of some radiation therapy programs that are now incorporated into a full university degree. In these cases, a BSc in physics would definately allow you to skip much of the required course load.

Something that I've seen in the radiation therapy career specifically (and no reason why it wouldn't also apply to x-ray/MRI tech) is that people who get in with a background in physics excel tremedously in the career. They move very quickly into leadership positions and are able to adapt to rapidly changing technologies keeping themselves very employable.

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    As opposed to having a different bachelors degree or not having any sort of secondary education?

5. Jul 24, 2010 #4
    I meant the former, although the latter might be more useful at this point. From what I can tell, a bachelor's degree isn't worth any more than a high school diploma. I'd love for this to be wrong, but I don't think it is.

6. Nov 5, 2010 #5
    Does speaking English make it easier to be a professor of english lit.?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook