Does having a BS in physics make it easier to become an X-ray/MRI technician?

  • Topic: Physics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Blue_Jaunte
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Blue_Jaunte
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if the schooling required to become one of these might be shorter if you already have a degree in a hard science. If not, are there any professional jobs for which a physics BS is at least a definite advantage? I'm only interested for financial reasons.

Thank you,
Michael
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is likely school-specific. Generally, x-ray or MRI tech courses are 2-3 year college programs that you can get into right out of high school. In these cases, a BSc in physics will not likely give you any major time advantage.

I know of some radiation therapy programs that are now incorporated into a full university degree. In these cases, a BSc in physics would definitely allow you to skip much of the required course load.

Something that I've seen in the radiation therapy career specifically (and no reason why it wouldn't also apply to x-ray/MRI tech) is that people who get in with a background in physics excel tremedously in the career. They move very quickly into leadership positions and are able to adapt to rapidly changing technologies keeping themselves very employable.
 
Blue_Jaunte said:
If not, are there any professional jobs for which a physics BS is at least a definite advantage?

As opposed to having a different bachelors degree or not having any sort of secondary education?
 
Codyt said:
As opposed to having a different bachelors degree or not having any sort of secondary education?

I meant the former, although the latter might be more useful at this point. From what I can tell, a bachelor's degree isn't worth any more than a high school diploma. I'd love for this to be wrong, but I don't think it is.
 
Does speaking English make it easier to be a professor of english lit.?