Does Ice Evaporate? Answers Here!

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, ice does not technically evaporate but sublimation can occur at a certain pressure and temperature, where ice instantly changes into gas. This can be seen on a phase diagram where the region between solid and gas is located. By maintaining a constant pressure and heating up the ice, sublimation can occur without the ice becoming a liquid.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Greetings, I was curious to know if ice evaporates. I suspect it does to a very slight degree but to what degree I am not sure. It likely depends on a plethora of factors, from ice temperature, outside temperature, humidity, sunlight, wind, etc. So if you have any leads for me I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Google "sublimation"

NO, 0 degrees Celcius is the freezing point of water and the melting point of Ice. Snow and Ice must be above 0 degrees celcius to melt to water and then the water will start to evaporate.
-------------------
Stephanieluis

By definition, evapouration is the conversion of a liquid to vapour so technically no, but yes sublimation does occur.

at a certain pressure and a certain temperature, ice will nearly instantly change from the solid state to the gas state. I recommend looking at water's phase graph and see where on the graph it would happen. I believe the y-axis is pressure and x-axis is temperature. The graph should be divided into 3 regions, liquid, gas and solid. Look for the border between solid and gas and that is the region where sublimation occurs

Look up a "phase diagram" for water. See the point where the three lines meet? The region on the top left is where water's a solid (cold, high pressure). Top right is liquid (warmer, normal pressure). Bottom right is gas (warm, low pressure).

If you're at such a low pressure and cold temperature that you start off below the point where the lines meet (and you're still a solid), and you keep your pressure constant as you heat it up..you'll make the water go into sublimation without becoming a liquid.

1. Does ice evaporate at room temperature?

Yes, ice can evaporate at room temperature. This process is known as sublimation, where a solid (ice) turns directly into a gas (water vapor) without first becoming a liquid.

2. How does ice evaporate?

Ice evaporates through a process called sublimation, where the molecules in the solid state gain enough energy to break free and become a gas without passing through the liquid state.

3. Does ice evaporate faster in dry or humid air?

Ice evaporates faster in dry air because there is less moisture in the air to limit the rate of sublimation. In humid air, the water vapor molecules in the air can slow down the evaporation of ice by creating a barrier between the ice and the air.

4. How long does it take for ice to evaporate?

The time it takes for ice to evaporate depends on factors such as temperature, humidity, and the surface area of the ice. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to several days for a small piece of ice to completely evaporate.

5. Can ice evaporate in a closed container?

Yes, ice can still evaporate in a closed container. However, the water vapor will remain trapped in the container and may eventually condense back into liquid form when the temperature drops. This process is known as sublimation and deposition.