Does incurvation of space requires energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy in relation to general relativity. It is mentioned that any force can alter energy and that mass curves space, causing gravity. However, it is unclear where the energy used to curve space comes from. The concept of energy in general relativity is considered tricky and there is no main theory to explain it. The conversation ends with gratitude for providing a direction for further research.
1a2a4a8a16a32
Forgive me for any misconception I may have, but as a first year university student, I know that any force alters energy to different forms. Mass curves space and the curved space causes gravity...but any change in spacetime requires energy...So where does the energy "used" to incurvate space comes from??

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is a tricky concept in GR:
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/mirrors/physicsfaq/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

Although it was a little enlightening,I searched more and from the little I understood due to my yet limited knowledge no main theory exists to justify this energy exception in space time, it can only be approached peripherally, not directly. However thank you for your immediate answer, you gave me the direction to continue my research.

1. How does space incurvation occur?

Space incurvation occurs due to the presence of massive objects, such as planets, stars, or black holes. These objects have a strong gravitational pull, which causes the fabric of space to bend or curve around them.

2. Does space incurvation require energy?

Yes, space incurvation does require energy. This energy is supplied by the mass of the objects causing the curvature. The larger the mass of the object, the stronger the gravitational pull, and therefore, the more energy required for space to be curved around it.

3. Can space incurvation occur without the presence of massive objects?

No, space incurvation cannot occur without the presence of massive objects. The amount of energy required for space to be curved is directly proportional to the mass of the object. Without a massive object, there is no energy to cause space to bend.

4. Can space incurvation be reversed?

Yes, space incurvation can be reversed. This can occur when the massive object causing the curvature is removed or when a stronger gravitational force acts in the opposite direction, such as in the case of an orbiting object.

5. What is the significance of space incurvation?

Space incurvation is significant because it plays a crucial role in the laws of gravity and the behavior of objects in the universe. It also helps explain many observed phenomena, such as the bending of light around massive objects and the motion of celestial bodies. Understanding space incurvation is essential in studying the nature of our universe.