Does larger Champagne bottle = more pressure inside?

• Thread starter jman995x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, J.The pressure inside a bottle of champagne is the same regardless of the size of the bottle.
jman995x
Hello All,

It's been awhile since I've had to do these calculations, and this might be more of a Gen Chem question, but I thought I'd post it here as well and see the group's feedback.

A standard (750mL) bottle of champagne has roughly 6 atmospheres (~90psi) of pressure inside.
Does this pressure increase (or does it stay the same) if the bottle is much larger?

The reason I'm asking is that my wife (who is in the wine business) has become quite adept at sabring regular champagne bottles. However, she's going to sabre a 9L bottle tonight and I was just wondering if this (much) larger bottle has more pressure inside, or is it just a larger bottle with the same amount of pressure?

I have found some information here regarding CO2 (dissolved and gaseous):

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/Chemistry/Courses/General/concep10.html

...example 10-9.

...but, as I mentioned previously, haven't done these kind of calculations in awhile and am a little lost.

Any thoughts and the reasons behind them?

Thanks,

J.

Physics news on Phys.org
My thought is that it will be about the same pressure. The pressure inside is developed from the continued fermentation of the champagne in the bottle.

What difference would the fermentation be if the champagne was in one big 9L bottle or 12 smaller 750mL bottles?

The pressure is independent of the volume but there would be much more Energy stored in a larger bottle. If you were to use this energy (the expanding CO2) to drive a small engine of some sort then you would get proportionally more energy out.

But, as far as what happens to the cork plus the glass neck, the pressure on the cork from the inside is only there whilst the cork is attached and it's the same in both cases. Once the cork comes off, the pressure is dissipated elsewhere. So I can't see that there would be any extra Kinetic Energy imparted to the flying top. In fact, I think the energy would largely come from the heavy sabre, moving at speed.
It seems to me to be a flashy trick that is actually very safe as long as you don't cut yourself on the glass on the glass or the flying bit. Napoleon, who was reputed to have invented the trick, was keen on dramatic gestures!

sophiecentaur said:
It seems to me to be a flashy trick that is actually very safe as long as you don't cut yourself on the glass on the glass or the flying bit.
Or, you know, the whole swinging a 3 foot sword in a crowded room of guests... :uhh:

Hello J,

That's a great question! The pressure inside a champagne bottle is determined by the amount of carbon dioxide gas dissolved in the liquid. As the bottle is sealed, the gas is unable to escape and builds up pressure. Therefore, a larger bottle with the same amount of dissolved gas will have the same pressure as a smaller bottle. However, if the larger bottle has more gas dissolved in it, then the pressure will be higher.

In the case of a 9L bottle, it is likely that there is more gas dissolved in it compared to a standard 750mL bottle. This is because the larger bottle has a smaller surface area to volume ratio, which means that less gas can escape as the bottle is opened. Therefore, there may be a higher pressure inside the 9L bottle compared to a standard bottle.

I hope this helps and good luck to your wife on sabering the 9L bottle tonight!

Best,

What is the relationship between Champagne bottle size and pressure inside?

The larger the Champagne bottle, the higher the pressure inside. This is because the same amount of carbon dioxide gas is contained in a larger volume, leading to a higher concentration and therefore higher pressure.

Why does a larger Champagne bottle have more pressure inside?

A larger bottle can hold more carbon dioxide gas, which is released from the solution as bubbles and creates pressure inside the bottle. The pressure increases as more gas is produced and trapped in the bottle.

Does the type of Champagne bottle affect the pressure inside?

The type of Champagne bottle can affect the pressure inside, as different bottle designs can hold varying amounts of carbon dioxide gas. However, the size of the bottle remains the biggest factor in determining the pressure inside.

How does the pressure inside a Champagne bottle affect the taste?

The pressure inside a Champagne bottle can affect the taste by influencing the release of carbon dioxide gas. Higher pressure can lead to smaller, more intense bubbles, which can enhance the flavor and aroma of the Champagne.

What are the safety concerns with higher pressure in larger Champagne bottles?

Higher pressure in larger Champagne bottles can pose safety concerns if the bottle is not handled properly. The pressure can cause the cork to pop out with more force, potentially causing injury. It is important to handle larger Champagne bottles carefully and use proper techniques to open them safely.