Does my weight change if I travel

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential change in weight when traveling near the speed of light. The consensus is that while mass may increase, weight is associated with gravity and may not necessarily change. It is also noted that this may vary depending on one's frame of reference.
javas1

Homework Statement

Does my weight change if I travel near the speed of light?

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

NA

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think will happen as you approach speeds near or at the speed of light?

rock.freak667 said:
What do you think will happen as you approach speeds near or at the speed of light?

My mass will increase, but I am not certain if weight increases.

My hunch is that I won't notice anything in my frame of reference. What I mean is, nothing will change - my weight will stay the same.

Is that right?

Thanks.

I don't know too much on relativistic calculations, but weight is associated with gravity, so assuming you can approach c for a certain 'g', your weight will increase.

But if you are flying through space, in your frame, I would agree with you.

rock.freak667 said:
I don't know too much on relativistic calculations, but weight is associated with gravity, so assuming you can approach c for a certain 'g', your weight will increase.

But if you are flying through space, in your frame, I would agree with you.

Okay, thank you very much. It's probably not crucial to include frame of reference.

:)

1. Does my weight change if I travel to a different location?

Yes, your weight can change when you travel to a different location. This is because your body experiences a change in gravitational pull depending on where you are on Earth. For example, you would weigh slightly less at the top of a mountain compared to at sea level.

2. Will I gain or lose weight when traveling by plane?

You may experience a slight weight gain when traveling by plane due to the change in air pressure and altitude. This can cause your body to retain more water and feel bloated. However, this is usually temporary and your weight will return to normal once you are back on the ground.

3. Does the type of transportation affect my weight when traveling?

No, the type of transportation you use does not significantly affect your weight when traveling. However, as mentioned before, air travel can cause temporary changes in weight due to changes in air pressure and altitude. The difference is usually minimal and should not be a cause for concern.

4. Can my weight change due to climate or weather conditions while traveling?

Yes, your weight can fluctuate due to climate or weather conditions while traveling. For example, if you are traveling to a hotter climate, your body may retain more water and make you feel bloated. Additionally, if you are doing physical activities in a colder climate, your body may burn more calories to keep you warm, resulting in a slight weight loss.

5. Will my weight change if I travel to a different time zone?

No, traveling to a different time zone should not significantly affect your weight. However, jet lag and changes in your eating and sleeping patterns can make you feel bloated or cause temporary weight gain. This should return to normal once your body adjusts to the new time zone.