Does one commonly get a masters degree before a phd

In summary, in physics, in the USA, you normally enter a PhD program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree. The first two years are mainly coursework (usually along with some research work), after which you can, if you like, "pick up" a master's degree. Then you work on your dissertation research for 3-5 years and end up with your PhD. Standalone masters' degree programs are usually "terminal" degrees that are not intended to lead into a PhD program. In Europe, however, you first complete a masters degree before entering a PhD program.
saminator910
If you were getting a PhD in either pure math or physics, with the intention of becoming a professor, does one first need to get a masters degree before their PhD, is it different for the two fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
In physics, in the USA, you normally enter a PhD program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree. The first two years are mainly coursework (usually along with some research work), after which you can, if you like, "pick up" a master's degree. Then you work on your dissertation research for 3-5 years and end up with your PhD. Standalone masters' degree programs are usually "terminal" degrees that are not intended to lead into a PhD program.

In other countries the master's and PhD programs are usually separate, and you complete a master's degree before entering a PhD program. The same may also be true in some other fields in the USA; I don't know about math specifically.

Last edited:
you can get a terminal MS in physics if you have the following goals:

are not a physics major and want to transition to physics PhD

physics BS but had a bad grade and want to make up for it

you want to do interdisciplinary stuff like say biophysics, and have a biology or biochemistry degree

you want to do interdisciplinary non-pure physics subjects like chemical physics or materials science

you want to work in industry in a higher level role than a BS but without a PhD

you want to teach high school

And in Europe the standard approach is indeed that you first finish a Master's (or equivalent, like physics Diploma in Germany), and upon completion, either chose to go into industry or start in a PhD program.

Europe has something called the "erasmus system", at least in most EU countries. It goes like this

Bachelors - 3 years
Masters - 2 years
PhD - 3 years

Apparently they tend to stick to that as much as they can. Sometimes when I hear people talk about physics PhD's taking 7 - 9 years, I assume they are including 2 years that in Europe would be consumed with the masters.

In North America, however, I've recently begun encountering more students who 'pick up' masters degrees here and there to boost their CV when it comes time to apply into PhD programs. These students were from industrial biochemistry and medieval art (unfortunately that's not one field), however, so maybe the masters degree - accumulation isn't as big in physics.

H2Bro said:
Europe has something called the "erasmus system", at least in most EU countries. It goes like this

Bachelors - 3 years
Masters - 2 years
PhD - 3 years

Um, no. The ERASMUS program is for undergraduate student exchange among universities in the EU. (which I am currently taking part in :))

Masters are 1-2 years long and PhD's are 3-4 years, you will find many exceptions to the rule. Also it is not compulsory to get a Msc. before a PhD at every institution in the EU, but some do require it, and there exist some institutions called doctoral training centers which admit BSc's which have some compulsory coursework.

The Bologne accord is what most EU universities have converged to or are in the process of converging to: a 3 year undergraduate bachelors running on the ECTS credit scheme. Some countries like Spain however still have a 4 year bachelors despite having converted to this system (up until recently, undergraduate degrees were 5 years in duration).

Lavabug said:
The Bologne accord...

THATS what I was thinking about. Erasmus is where you travel Europe to various student residences to sample their drinking games. Bologna Accord is the structure for said travels ;)

ERASMUS = European Regional Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students. It's when you travel to a different university to take 1 or 2 semesters worth of courses to be recognized back at your home institution.

Bologne accord = The shiny new "unified" educational system for universities in the EU. Course credits run on the ECTS credit system where each credit corresponds to some fixed number of "work hours". A Bachelors = 180 ECTS, 60 ECTS per year (240 ECTS in Spain).

Doesn't explain much though, because 60 ECTS at my home uni meant 20 hours of lectures per week for 20 weeks (2 semesters/10 courses). Where I am at now (in the UK), it means 15-16 hours of lectures for 16 weeks (2 semesters/8 courses). I have to go well over the ECTS norm in the UK just to fulfill graduation requirements.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a master's degree and a PhD?

A master's degree is a graduate-level degree that typically takes 1-2 years to complete. It focuses on a specific field of study and requires coursework, exams, and a thesis or project. A PhD, or Doctor of Philosophy, is a more advanced degree that typically takes 4-6 years to complete. It involves original research, a dissertation, and a defense of the dissertation.

2. Is it necessary to have a master's degree before pursuing a PhD?

No, it is not necessary to have a master's degree before pursuing a PhD. However, some PhD programs may require applicants to have a master's degree or have completed certain coursework in order to be considered.

3. Are there any benefits to getting a master's degree before a PhD?

There can be several benefits to getting a master's degree before a PhD. It can help you gain a deeper understanding of your field of study, develop research skills, and make connections with professors and other professionals in your field. Additionally, some PhD programs may allow you to transfer credits from your master's degree, allowing you to complete your PhD faster.

4. Can I get a PhD without a master's degree?

Yes, it is possible to get a PhD without a master's degree. However, you may need to meet certain requirements or demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills in order to be accepted into a PhD program without a master's degree.

5. Is it better to get a master's degree first or go straight into a PhD program?

There is no right answer to this question as it depends on individual circumstances and goals. Some students may benefit from getting a master's degree first to gain foundational knowledge and research skills, while others may prefer to go straight into a PhD program to focus on their research interests. It is important to carefully consider your own strengths, interests, and career goals before deciding which path is right for you.