Does pointwise convergence imply convergence of integral on C[0,1]?

In summary: Sorry about that.So construct a function that is a sequence of isosceles triangles with base length 1/n and height n. This function converges to 0 pointwise, right?Yes, this function converges to 0 pointwise. Thanks for your help!
ChemEng1

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would like to verify that f(t)=t^n is a counter example of this. Pointwise convergence goes to 0 on [0,1) and 1 on [1]. Norm(1) is unbounded.

I hope that right. It looks so small written out, but took almost 2 hours putting it together.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What norm are you using? Is it

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}|f(t)|dt[/tex]?

If so, I disagree that it is unbounded! (In fact, it's bounded by 1 for all n.) Can you please show your calculation?

And then I just realized that doesn't work either. Sigh. Norm(1)=1/(n+1) which isn't unbounded. Help. Please?

jbunniii said:
What norm are you using? Is it

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}|f(t)|dt[/tex]?

If so, I disagree that it is unbounded! Can you please show your calculation?

I realized that at the same time you posted it. Sadness.

Think about a sequence of functions that get arbitrarily tall and narrow as n increases.

My intuition is that pointwise convergence does not imply convergence of an integral. Integrals work across an interval and not on points like pointwise convergence would look at. Just not sure how to find an example showing that.

OK, think about a sequence of functions, where each function is shaped like a triangle. Define the base and height such that the base shrinks to 0 and the height grows to infinity as n goes to infinity. Can you do this in such a way that the area stays constant regardless of n?

Then answer these questions: are these functions in C[0,1]? Do they converge pointwise to a function in C[0,1]? Do they converge to that function (or any function) in the integral norm?

How about a function the looks like a right triangle with base 1/n and height n^2 at t=0? The integral norm would always be n/2 which would go to infinity with n. Would pointwise convergence go to 0 as well? (I am a bit unconfident of saying this because of what would happen with the function at t=0 though. For t=(0,1], I would agree.)

ChemEng1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would like to verify that f(t)=t^n is a counter example of this. Pointwise convergence goes to 0 on [0,1) and 1 on [1]. Norm(1) is unbounded.

I hope that right. It looks so small written out, but took almost 2 hours putting it together.

Thanks in advance.

There is a bit of ambiguity in your question. Say you have a sequence {fn} in C[0,1] that converges pointwise. Do you want the limit function f to also be in C[0,1], or do you allow it to be discontinuous and/or unbounded? (I suspect you mean the latter, but that is for you to clarify.)

RGV

I think I got it. Right triangle with base of 1/n and height of n set at t=0. Integral norm goes to 1/2. But function pointwise diverges because of behavior at t=0.

Look good?

ChemEng1 said:
I think I got it. Right triangle with base of 1/n and height of n set at t=0. Integral norm goes to 1/2. But function pointwise diverges because of behavior at t=0.

Look good?

But this isn't a counterexample. The function diverges pointwise, and it also doesn't converge to anything in the integral norm. In order for the latter to occur, there would have to be a function g such that

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}|f_n(t) - g(t)| dt \rightarrow 0[/tex]

as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]. All you have is a sequence of functions which all have norm = 1/2. That doesn't imply any kind of convergence.

However, you can modify the sequence so that it will converge pointwise. To do so, try arranging all the triangles so that the left edge of the base starts at t = 0, instead of centering the triangles at t = 0. I claim that this sequence converges pointwise. (To what?)

jbunniii said:
But this isn't a counterexample. The function diverges pointwise, and it also doesn't converge to anything in the integral norm. In order for the latter to occur, there would have to be a function g such that

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}|f_n(t) - g(t)| dt \rightarrow 0[/tex]

as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]. All you have is a sequence of functions which all have norm = 1/2. That doesn't imply any kind of convergence.

However, you can modify the sequence so that it will converge pointwise. To do so, try arranging all the triangles so that the left edge of the base starts at t = 0, instead of centering the triangles at t = 0. I claim that this sequence converges pointwise. (To what?)

So construct a function that is a sequence of isosceles triangles with base length 1/n and height n. This function converges to 0 pointwise, right?

Now I need to show that [tex]\int_{0}^{1}|f_n(t) - 0| dt \neq 0[/tex], correct? (This integral would go to 1, which isn't 0. So I think I'm done.

I see where my mistake was earlier. I showed that it did not converge pointwise, but still needed to determine a function it converges to under integral norm to test to show it goes to 0.

ChemEng1 said:
So construct a function that is a sequence of isosceles triangles with base length 1/n and height n. This function converges to 0 pointwise, right?

Correct, assuming you made the modification I described earlier, so that the triangles are centered at, say, 1/n instead of at 0.

Now I need to show that [tex]\int_{0}^{1}|f_n(t) - 0| dt \neq 0[/tex], correct? (This integral would go to 1, which isn't 0. So I think I'm done.

This shows that the sequence does not converge to 0 in the integral norm. On the face of it, there is still the possibility that the sequence could converge to some other function in the integral norm. Can you prove that this is not the case?

P.S. I assume you meant to take the limit:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^{1}|f_n(t) - 0| dt \neq 0[/tex]

1. What is pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence is a type of convergence in which a sequence of functions converges to a limit function at each point in the domain. This means that for every x in the domain, the value of the sequence of functions at x approaches the value of the limit function at x as the sequence progresses.

2. What is the difference between pointwise convergence and uniform convergence?

The main difference between pointwise convergence and uniform convergence is that in pointwise convergence, the convergence occurs at each point in the domain separately, while in uniform convergence, the convergence occurs uniformly over the entire domain. This means that in uniform convergence, the rate of convergence is the same at each point, while in pointwise convergence, the rate of convergence can vary at different points.

3. What is the significance of pointwise convergence in the context of C[0,1]?

In the context of C[0,1], which represents the space of continuous functions on the interval [0,1], pointwise convergence is important because it allows us to determine whether a sequence of functions converges to a limit function at each point in the interval. This is useful for analyzing the behavior of functions and determining the properties of the limit function.

4. Does pointwise convergence always imply convergence of the integral on C[0,1]?

No, pointwise convergence does not always imply convergence of the integral on C[0,1]. While pointwise convergence ensures that the limit function exists at each point in the interval, it does not guarantee that the integral of the sequence of functions will converge to the integral of the limit function. This is because the convergence of the integral also depends on the rate of convergence at each point in the interval.

5. Can pointwise convergence fail to hold on certain intervals in C[0,1]?

Yes, pointwise convergence can fail to hold on certain intervals in C[0,1]. This can occur when the sequence of functions converges to a limit function at some points in the interval, but not at others. In this case, the convergence of the sequence of functions is not uniform, and therefore, pointwise convergence does not hold on the entire interval.