1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a sequence of functions converges pointwise and uniformly.

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    Given ##f_n=\frac {x} {1+x^2}-\frac {(1+x^2)x} {1+(n+1)^2x^2}## , prove that ##\{f_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## converges pointwise and uniformly to a continuous function on the interval ##[0,1]##

The attempt at a solution.

It's easy to prove that this sequence tends to the function ##f(x)=\frac {x} {1+x^2}## pointwise, I just calculated the limit for a fixed ##x## in the interval. Now, I am trying to prove by hand (without using theorems of sequences of functions defined on compact sets or anything of the sort) that the sequence tends to ##f## uniformly. So, to prove this I have to prove that for a given ##ε>0##, there is some ##N \in \mathbb N## such that for all ##n≥N## ##|f-f_n|<ε##.##|f-f_n|=|\frac {(1+x^2)x} {1+(n+1)^2x^2}|=\frac {(1+x^2)x} {1+(n+1)^2x^2}≤\frac {(1+x^2)x} {(n+1)^2x^2}=\frac {(1+x^2)} {(n+1)^2x}##. So, if I could choose ##N## such that for every ##x \in [0,1]##, ##\frac {(1+x^2)} {x}≤ε(n+1)^2##, I would be done, the problem is I don't know which ##N## would work.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No value of N will work. ##\frac {(1+x^2)} {x}## goes to infinity as x goes to zero. You need to get a better estimate. It should depend only on n not on x.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  4. Nov 12, 2013 #3
    Note that:

[tex] \frac{(1+x^2)x}{1+(n+1)^2x^2} \leq \frac{ 2}{1+(n+1)^2} \leq \frac{2}{N} [/tex]

Now choose

[tex]N= \frac{2}{ \epsilon} [/tex]

5. Nov 12, 2013 #4
    Yes, I've already try that, but are you sure that estimate is correct? I mean, in the denominator, when ##x \to 0##, the denominator tends to ##1##, so the whole expression is bigger than ##\frac{ 2}{1+(n+1)^2}##.

6. Nov 12, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This inequality is incorrect, as you can see by plugging some example values for ##x## and ##n##.

To get a bound that works, try the following trick. The denominator is not quite a perfect square, but if we insert a term we can make it so:
    $$1 - 2(n+1)x + (n+1)^2 x^2 = (1 - (n+1)x)^2$$
    And of course since this expression is a square, it must be nonnegative:
    $$1 - 2(n+1)x + (n+1)^2 x^2 \geq 0$$
    Try using this to get a bound for your expression.

7. Nov 12, 2013 #6
    Yes, you're right then I choose the easy way:

The entire fraction is smaller than 2:

[tex]\frac{(1+x^2)x}{1+(n+1)^2x^2} \leq \frac{ 2}{1+(n+1)^2 x^2} \leq 2n \leq 2N [/tex]

Choose [tex] N = \frac{\epsilon}{2} [/tex]

8. Nov 12, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not what I get. Indeed, an upper bound of ##2n## wouldn't help at all because that bound grows as ##n## increases. You need a bound that converges to zero as ##n\rightarrow \infty##.

Take another look at the inequality I suggested earlier:
    $$1 - 2(n+1)x + (n+1)^2 x^2 \geq 0$$
    This is equivalent to
    $$1 + (n+1)^2 x^2 \geq 2(n+1)x$$
    Since both sides are positive when ##x > 0##, we may rearrange this to get
    $$\frac{1}{1 + (n+1)^2 x^2} \leq \frac{1}{2(n+1)x}$$
    So that gives you an inequality involving the denominator. How about the numerator? Also note that you'll have to handle the ##x=0## case separately, but that should be easy enough.

9. Nov 12, 2013 #8
    Thanks very much, that inequality works well: ##x \in [0,1] \implies x≤1##, so the numerator ##(x^2+1)x≤(1^2+1)x=2x##. Putting all those inequalities together, we get ##\frac {(x^2+1)x} {1+(n+1)^2x^2}≤\frac {2x} {2(n+1)x}=\frac {1} {n+1}##. Then, given ##ε>0##, if ##\frac {1} {n+1}<ε##, that means, if we choose ##n## such that ##n>\frac {1} {ε}-1##, we have that ##|f_n-f|<ε##. It follows that ##f_n \to f## uniformly.

10. Nov 12, 2013 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good!

11. Nov 12, 2013 #10
    I forgot to separate the case ##x=0##, but that one is pretty easy since ##f_n=0##, every natural number will work for ##0##.

12. Nov 12, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want a little less clever solution than jbunniii's but maybe more general, you can try to just use calculus to find the max of ##\frac{(1+x^2)x}{1+(n+1)^2x^2}##. Differentiate with respect to x and set that equal to zero. In this case, that turns out to give you something too hard to solve. So try and simplify it a little by using (1+x^2)<=2. So try ##\frac{2x}{1+(n+1)^2x^2}##. That one you can just mechanically solve. Turns out to give you the same upper bound of 1/(n+1). That's the way I would have tackled it. I'm not too good at clever tricks.

13. Nov 12, 2013 #12

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was going to suggest the same thing, but I got a nasty expression when I tried it because your trick didn't occur to me. Fortunately, spending a few extra minutes to look for a different trick paid off in this case. Sometimes laziness is a virtue. :tongue:

Also, a trick that you can apply more than once is no longer a trick, it's a technique:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=720807

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted