Does the earth rotate and undergo revolution with the same speed?

In summary, the Earth does not rotate and undergo revolution with the same speed. The rotation speed is not the same everywhere on our planet, and even taking the highest rotation speed of our planet (around the equator), you would travel at 1670\frac{km}{h} compared to the center. The Earth is going around the Sun at 1.076 \times 10^{5} \frac{km}{h}.
monty37
does the Earth rotate and undergo revolution with the same speed?is the rotation
and revolution in same direction

Physics news on Phys.org

From your question, I will understand "rotate" as the Earth spinning on an axes, and "revolution" as the Earth going around the Sun.

In this way, no the Earth does rotate at the same speed as it turns around the Sun. Firstly, because the rotation speed is not the same everywhere on our planet. You will travel at a much higher speed if you are next to the equator, and you will be pratically standing (spinning on yourself) at the poles. Seconldy, even taking the highest rotation spped of our planet (around the equator), you would travel at [tex]1670\frac{km}{h}[/tex] compared to the center. This means that if our planet would stop rotating, the people at the equator would hit the east wall at [tex]1670\frac{km}{h}[/tex].

On the other hand, the Earth is going around the Sun at [tex]1.076 \times 10^{5} \frac{km}{h}[/tex].

Cheers

You know the Earth's diameter is about 7400 miles and rotates once in 24 hours. You also know the Earth's orbit averages about 93,000,000 miles and completes once every 365 days.

Do the math and you tell me.

but it is the angular velocity that has to be taken,as Earth undergoes rotatory motion.

monty37 said:
but it is the angular velocity that has to be taken,as Earth undergoes rotatory motion.
Yes, what it your point?

fatra2 takes into account the angular velocity of Earth and negitron gives you all the information you need to compute it.

if angular velocity had been taken into account,then the velocity should
have been in radians/sec.

so the angular distance required to calculate this would be the elliptical path
divided by time(365x 24x3600)?right

so this would this be the velocity of Earth to aperson in space?

monty37 said:
if angular velocity had been taken into account,then the velocity should
have been in radians/sec.

The figures in my post are given as angular velocity, albeit somehwat indirectly.

may i know in what indirect way,is it in terms of v=rw,i mean has the radius been
multiplied with ang velocity and given as linear velocity?

What does it mean when I tell you, for example, that the Earth has a diameter of 7400 miles and it makes one revolution in 24 hours? Can't you relate that to an angular velocity with simple arithmetic?

1. Does the earth rotate and undergo revolution at the same speed?

No, the earth rotates and undergoes revolution at different speeds. The earth rotates on its axis once every 24 hours, while it completes one revolution around the sun in approximately 365.24 days.

2. What is the difference between rotation and revolution?

Rotation refers to the spinning motion of a planet or object on its axis, while revolution is the movement of a planet or object around another object.

3. How does the earth's rotation and revolution affect our daily lives?

The earth's rotation causes day and night, while its revolution around the sun results in the changing of seasons. These cycles play a significant role in our daily lives, affecting factors such as temperature, daylight hours, and the growth of plants.

4. Is the earth's rotation and revolution constant?

No, the earth's rotation and revolution are not constant. The earth's rotation is slowing down at a rate of approximately 17 milliseconds per century, while its revolution around the sun also varies slightly due to the gravitational pull of other planets.

5. How do we measure the earth's rotation and revolution?

The earth's rotation is measured using a unit of time called a day, while its revolution around the sun is measured in years. Scientists also use instruments such as satellites and telescopes to track and measure the earth's rotation and revolution.