1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the refractive index law change according to the medium

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    The refrative index law should be sine(i)/sine(r) but in the answer he done the opposite. I included the answer in the bottom of the question.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It just depends on what you call i and r and which angle you know.

You can also write it as ##\sin(\alpha) n_\alpha = \sin(\beta) n_\beta## where nα means the refractive index of the medium where you have the angle α and similar for β. Usually, one medium is air with n=1.

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    In the question provided, the i angle is the one from the lamp in the water and the r is the one in the air.

What do you think about the answer I attached? Why is the r angle is the one in the water?!

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As I said, it does not matter how you call them, you just have to be consistent. n refers to the water, so the sine in the denominator on the other side should use the angle in the water here.

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5
    Ok. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted