Does the Riemman tensor and the covariant derivate commute?

In summary: However, this commutator is not always zero, as is the case for the tensor product. My impression was that the OP was asking whether \nabla_a R_{bcd}{}^{f} = R_{bcd}{}^{f} \nabla_a. You're right that the Riemann tensor does give the commutator of two covariant derivatives. However, this commutator is not always zero, as is the case for the tensor product.
vertices
A random question - Does the Riemman tensor and the covariant derivate commute?

a yes/no answer would suffice, but any explanation would be welcome:)

From the equations, it looks as though they do for flat metrics - but if we have other manifolds, it seems to me that the Christoffel symbols may be functions of different coordinates, and as such, might be affected by the covariant derivative.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Riemann tensor of a flat metric is always zero (by definition). The covariant derivative of any zero tensor is (unsurprisingly) zero.

But more generally, what you're asking is only true if the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor vanishes. That is a very special case.

Stingray said:
The covariant derivative of any zero tensor is (unsurprisingly) zero.

Many thanks for the reply Stingray.

I'm really going to show my ignorance here, but a zero tensor is a scalar no? From what I understand, the covariant derivative of scalar is just the partial derivative - why would this neccessarily be zero?

You can have zero tensors of any rank. In this case, it is not a scalar.

Still, if all components of a tensor vanish in one coordinate system, they vanish in all others as well. You can easily check this using the standard transformation rules.

Regardless, the covariant derivative of something that is everywhere zero is zero. For example, you probably know that
[tex]
\nabla_\mu A_\nu = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \Gamma_{\mu\nu}^\gamma A_\gamma .
[/tex]
If [itex]A_\mu = 0[/itex] over some finite region, it immediately follows that [itex]\nabla_\mu A_\nu = \partial_\mu A_\nu = 0[/itex] in that same region. This result is coordinate-independent.

Stingray said:
You can have zero tensors of any rank. In this case, it is not a scalar.

Still, if all components of a tensor vanish in one coordinate system, they vanish in all others as well. You can easily check this using the standard transformation rules.

Regardless, the covariant derivative of something that is everywhere zero is zero. For example, you probably know that
[tex]
\nabla_\mu A_\nu = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \Gamma_{\mu\nu}^\gamma A_\gamma .
[/tex]
If [itex]A_\mu = 0[/itex] over some finite region, it immediately follows that [itex]\nabla_\mu A_\nu = \partial_\mu A_\nu = 0[/itex] in that same region. This result is coordinate-independent.

I see.

Thanks again, Stingray:)

Stingray said:
more generally, what you're asking is only true if the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor vanishes. That is a very special case.

If the metric is not flat, then the covariant derivative does not commute. Generally speaking, in curved spaces the order in which the covariant derivatives are taken *does* matter (they do not commute). Perhaps I am mistaken, but my understanding is that the Riemann tensor actually gives us the "commutator" of covariant derivatives.

zerotensor said:
If the metric is not flat, then the covariant derivative does not commute. Generally speaking, in curved spaces the order in which the covariant derivatives are taken *does* matter (they do not commute). Perhaps I am mistaken, but my understanding is that the Riemann tensor actually gives us the "commutator" of covariant derivatives.

My impression was that the OP was asking whether [itex]\nabla_a R_{bcd}{}^{f} = R_{bcd}{}^{f} \nabla_a[/itex]. You're right that the Riemann tensor does give the commutator of two covariant derivatives.

1. What is the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative?

The Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative are mathematical concepts used in the field of differential geometry to describe the curvature of a space. The Riemann tensor measures the curvature of a space at a given point, while the covariant derivative is a way to differentiate vectors and tensors in a curved space.

2. Why is it important to know if the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative commute?

The commutativity of the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative is important because it determines whether a space is flat or curved. If they commute, it means that the space is flat and the laws of Euclidean geometry apply. If they do not commute, it indicates that the space is curved and the laws of Euclidean geometry do not apply.

3. How do you determine if the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative commute?

To determine if the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative commute, you can use the Riemann curvature tensor equation: R^a_{bcd} = \partial_c\Gamma^a_{bd} - \partial_d\Gamma^a_{bc} + \Gamma^a_{ce}\Gamma^e_{bd} - \Gamma^a_{de}\Gamma^e_{bc}. If this equation equals zero, then the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative commute.

4. What are the implications if the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative do not commute?

If the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative do not commute, it means that the space is curved. This has important implications in various fields, such as general relativity, where the curvature of spacetime is related to the gravitational force. It also affects the behavior of objects moving in the curved space, as their paths are determined by the curvature.

5. Can the commutativity of the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative change in different spaces?

Yes, the commutativity of the Riemann tensor and the covariant derivative can change in different spaces. This is because the curvature of a space is not constant and can vary at different points. Therefore, the commutativity can change depending on the specific point in the space that is being considered.