Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Does this go to 0 for large enough x?

1. Aug 3, 2016 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I have one question... In general I always thought that the exponential function was "dying" out faster than any other polynomial function, such that:
    [itex]e^{-x} x^a \rightarrow 0[/itex] for [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex].
    [eg this is was used quiet commonly and so I got it as a rule-of-thumb, when deriving wavefunctions for a simple example for the Hydrogen atom]

However recently I read in a paper that this is not true, and as an illustration of how can that be, they logarithm-ized the function like:
    [itex]\ln (e^{-x} x^n) = -x + n \ln x[/itex] which goes to infinity for [itex] x,n\rightarrow \infty[/itex].
    This I read in here:
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1108.4270v5.pdf
    in Sec4 (the new paragraph after Eq4.1)

This has confused me, can someone shred some light?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

##n## is variable. In your example, ##a## is fixed.

4. Aug 3, 2016 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

well even if [itex]n[/itex] was not a variable, then the quantity I wrote [itex]-x + n \ln x[/itex] (fixed n), is not really going to zero for large x...

oops sorry... you want the logarithm to go to infinity.

5. Aug 3, 2016 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

which is on page 10 of the PDF.

Your rule-of-thumb is correct about limits involving single variables.

However, there is a distinction between limits taken with respect to one variable and limits taken with respect to two variables.

##\lim_{s\rightarrow \infty} g(s) ## is defined differently than ##\lim_{s\rightarrow\infty,\ n\rightarrow\infty} g(s,n)##.

(The wording in the paper is "when both ##n## and ##s## go to ##\infty##".)

There is a further distinction between the definition of a "double limit" ##\lim_{s\rightarrow\infty,\ n\rightarrow\infty} g(s,n)## and the definition of the two "iterated limits":
    ##\lim_{s\rightarrow\infty}( \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} g(s,n))##
    and
    ##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}( \lim_{s\rightarrow\infty} g(s,n))##.

6. Aug 4, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The first limit can be evaluated by repeated application of de L'Hospital's rule,
    $$\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^{a}}{\exp x}=\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a x^{a-1}}{\exp x}=\ldots = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a(a-1) \ldots (a-n+1) x^{a-n}}{\exp x}=0,$$
    where I made ##n>a-1##.

7. Aug 4, 2016 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

L'hospitals rule doesn't apply once the numerator becomes constant, so we should stop when that happens.

8. Aug 5, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

If ##a \in \mathbb{N}## then for ##n=a## the numerator becomes constant, and then the limit is also shown to be 0. So there's nothing wrong arguing with de L'Hospital in all cases.

9. Aug 5, 2016 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I'm just saying L'Hospital's rule does not apply to a case like ##lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{6}{f(x)}## since L'Hospital's rule only applies when both the numerator and denominator both have a limit of zero or both have infinite limits. Once you get a constant like 6 in the numerator, you have to use a different justification for finding the limit.

So we shouldn't write a chain of equalities that implies L'Hospital's rule is being applied to the case where the numerator is constant because it is not, in general, true that ##lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)} =lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{f"(x)}{g"(x)} = .... = lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\frac{d^n}{dx} f(x)}{\frac{d^n}{dx}g(x)} ##, running through an arbitary number ##n## of differentiations.

10. Aug 5, 2016 #9

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Of course it works only for limits of the type "##0/0##" or ##\infty/\infty##. Perhaps I was not strict enough in my formulation. I did not mean to use it arbitrarily many times of course but only as long as it is applicable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted