Does unconnected WIFI help pinpoint your location and why?

• Thread starter fansounds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wifi
In summary: So yes, having WiFi on even when not connected can help pinpoint your location. This is why your phone loses your location about 25% of the time - when you are in an area with weak GPS signals, having WiFi on can greatly improve the accuracy of your location.In summary, having WiFi on (even when not connected) can help pinpoint your location by using the WiFi Positioning System, which collects data on nearby WiFi signals and uses it to determine your location in addition to GPS signals. This can greatly improve the accuracy of your location, especially in areas with weak GPS signals.
fansounds
I use waze and/or googlemaps to navigate. When I plan a route I 1st turn GPS on on my phone. Phone then always asks me to also turn on WIFI, but I always ignore this and leave it off because I thought its pointless if you're not actually connected to wifi. But does WIFI being on (without being actually connected) actually help pinpoint your location? How does it do that? My phone loses my location about 25% of the time, and I'm wondering if this is why? thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Google maps can use local wifi signals to pinpoint your location. I found this out when i used my ipad to get a map to my friends house and while was driving my map location updated matching the street and where on the street i was. It really surprized me because my ipad only works on wifi. Theres no cellular or gps chip in it. Its an old ipad2.

fansounds said:
I use waze and/or googlemaps to navigate. When I plan a route I 1st turn GPS on on my phone. Phone then always asks me to also turn on WIFI, but I always ignore this and leave it off because I thought its pointless if you're not actually connected to wifi. But does WIFI being on (without being actually connected) actually help pinpoint your location? How does it do that? My phone loses my location about 25% of the time, and I'm wondering if this is why? thanks!
You don't have to be connected to WIFI to use the WIFI Positioning System - WPS - to determine your location. The GPS app on your phone can determine how far you are from a WIFI hotspot and use a database of WIFI locations to determine where you are.

AM

fansounds said:
Android phones and tablets periodically check to see what wifi access points are visible to your device (the SSID & MAC address of the access point). This information is recorded. If your GPS is also on, then the location of your device is also recorded. This data helps accurately map the location of all the WiFi signals around. With every android device doing this, google (and every other provider) already has an accurate location of all the wifi in cities using this technique.

Your devices are doing this in the background all the time, you don't need to be using your maps app or be on wifi. The phone/tablet is collecting this data always.

When you turn your WiFi on but not connected, it is in scanning mode by default, i.e. it's looking to see what wifi signals are available. This data is used by google maps in addition to your GPS signal to accurately determine your exact location. The more points of data you have, the more accurately your phone can guess where you are.

Likes harborsparrow

1. How does unconnected WIFI help pinpoint your location?

Unconnected WIFI can help pinpoint your location by using a process called triangulation. This involves measuring the signal strength of nearby WIFI networks and using that information to determine the approximate location of the device.

2. Can unconnected WIFI still track my location if I have location services turned off?

No, unconnected WIFI cannot track your location if you have location services turned off. Location services use a combination of WIFI, GPS, and cellular data to determine your location, so if any of these are turned off, your location cannot be tracked.

3. Is unconnected WIFI accurate in pinpointing my location?

The accuracy of unconnected WIFI in pinpointing your location depends on the density of WIFI networks in the area. In areas with a high concentration of networks, the accuracy can be within a few meters. However, in areas with fewer networks, the accuracy may be lower.

4. Can unconnected WIFI be used to track my location without my knowledge?

No, unconnected WIFI cannot be used to track your location without your knowledge. Your device must actively scan for nearby networks in order for unconnected WIFI to determine your location. This process can also be turned off in your device's settings.

5. Are there any privacy concerns with using unconnected WIFI to pinpoint my location?

There are some privacy concerns with using unconnected WIFI to pinpoint your location. While the process does not use any personal information, it can still reveal your approximate location. However, this information is only accessible to authorized apps and services and cannot be used to identify or track you without your consent.