Is a VPN required for a WiFi hotspot meant only for a home?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Home Wifi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
2,188
Reaction score
2,694
As discussed in this thread, I could convert my desktop PC to a WiFi hotspot, and it is working fine, with a more-or-less good range and a good speed. Connectify, the software that I am using, is advising me to install a VPN and is advertising their own VPN software (which, by the way, goes by the name of Speedify and sucks).

I was thinking whether a VPN is actually required. The IP address and location of the PC is being broadcast, and that seems to be the sole problem that Connectify highlights. When I make a hotspot from my Android phone, I don't activate any VPN, and haven't faced a problem yet. When I am surfing the net normally from either the desktop or laptop, I am not using any VPN, and am thereby sharing my IP address with all the sites that I am visiting. So, what problems could there be if the IP of the desktop is broadcast publicly?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
As discussed in this thread, I could convert my desktop PC to a WiFi hotspot, and it is working fine, with a more-or-less good range and a good speed. Connectify, the software that I am using, is advising me to install a VPN and is advertising their own VPN software (which, by the way, goes by the name of Speedify and sucks).

I was thinking whether a VPN is actually required. The IP address and location of the PC is being broadcast, and that seems to be the sole problem that Connectify highlights. When I make a hotspot from my Android phone, I don't activate any VPN, and haven't faced a problem yet. When I am surfing the net normally from either the desktop or laptop, I am not using any VPN, and am thereby sharing my IP address with all the sites that I am visiting. So, what problems could there be if the IP of the desktop is broadcast publicly?

WiFi is encrypted anyway isn't it? I don't see the need for a VPN in this instance.

Cheers
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu