Is a VPN required for a WiFi hotspot meant only for a home?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home Wifi
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a desktop PC as a WiFi hotspot without the use of a VPN. The speaker has found success in doing so and raises the question of whether a VPN is actually necessary. The main concern highlighted by the software Connectify is the broadcast of the IP address and location of the PC. However, the speaker points out that they do not use a VPN when creating a hotspot from their Android phone and have not faced any issues. The speaker also notes that they do not use a VPN when surfing the internet on their desktop or laptop, sharing their IP address with the sites they visit. The conversation concludes with the speaker questioning the need for a VPN in this scenario.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
As discussed in this thread, I could convert my desktop PC to a WiFi hotspot, and it is working fine, with a more-or-less good range and a good speed. Connectify, the software that I am using, is advising me to install a VPN and is advertising their own VPN software (which, by the way, goes by the name of Speedify and sucks).

I was thinking whether a VPN is actually required. The IP address and location of the PC is being broadcast, and that seems to be the sole problem that Connectify highlights. When I make a hotspot from my Android phone, I don't activate any VPN, and haven't faced a problem yet. When I am surfing the net normally from either the desktop or laptop, I am not using any VPN, and am thereby sharing my IP address with all the sites that I am visiting. So, what problems could there be if the IP of the desktop is broadcast publicly?

Likes WWGD
Computer science news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
As discussed in this thread, I could convert my desktop PC to a WiFi hotspot, and it is working fine, with a more-or-less good range and a good speed. Connectify, the software that I am using, is advising me to install a VPN and is advertising their own VPN software (which, by the way, goes by the name of Speedify and sucks).

I was thinking whether a VPN is actually required. The IP address and location of the PC is being broadcast, and that seems to be the sole problem that Connectify highlights. When I make a hotspot from my Android phone, I don't activate any VPN, and haven't faced a problem yet. When I am surfing the net normally from either the desktop or laptop, I am not using any VPN, and am thereby sharing my IP address with all the sites that I am visiting. So, what problems could there be if the IP of the desktop is broadcast publicly?

WiFi is encrypted anyway isn't it? I don't see the need for a VPN in this instance.

Cheers

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Is a VPN necessary for a home WiFi hotspot?

No, a VPN is not necessary for a home WiFi hotspot. A WiFi hotspot is a secure network that is protected by a password and is only accessible to authorized devices. However, using a VPN can provide an extra layer of security and privacy for your internet activity.

2. Can I access my home WiFi hotspot remotely without a VPN?

Yes, you can access your home WiFi hotspot remotely without a VPN as long as you have the correct login credentials and your router is set up for remote access. However, using a VPN can protect your data while accessing the hotspot remotely.

3. Will using a VPN slow down my home WiFi hotspot?

Yes, using a VPN can potentially slow down your home WiFi hotspot. This is because the VPN encrypts your data, which can add an extra step in the connection process and lead to slower speeds. However, the impact on speed will depend on the strength of your VPN and your internet connection.

4. Can I use a free VPN for my home WiFi hotspot?

Yes, you can use a free VPN for your home WiFi hotspot. However, keep in mind that free VPNs may not provide the same level of security and privacy as paid VPN services. It's important to do research and choose a reputable VPN provider to ensure your data is properly protected.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a VPN for my home WiFi hotspot?

Yes, there are alternatives to using a VPN for your home WiFi hotspot. One option is to use a secure browser, such as Tor, which encrypts your internet traffic and protects your privacy. Another option is to use a proxy server, which acts as an intermediary between your device and the internet, providing an additional layer of security.