Does weight / inertia / momentum change with temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple experiment involving a block of copper being weighed at different temperatures. The results show a noticeable difference in weight, leading to the question of whether buoyancy could explain this effect. Other factors such as natural convection currents and the scale mechanism are also brought up. However, the mass of the block is believed to remain unchanged. The conversation ends with the suggestion to calculate the effect rather than speculating about it.
quadcatfly
I did a simple experiment. I took a small block of copper (40g) and sensitive scales. First I cooled the block in a freezer (-2C) and checked its weight. Then heated it up to 300C in the oven and checked weight again. The difference in weight is well observed (4 - 5mg). Results are consistent and repeatable. The only conclusion I can make from it (apart from the obvious that many formulas in physics don't work in the real world) is that inertia and momentum also get affected with heat.

Science news on Phys.org
Can the effect be explained by buoyancy? Hotter -> thermal expansion -> displaces more air -> weighs less, but mass is unchanged.

Also, water vapor in the air tends to condense on cold objects. And heating an object that much probably drives off (evaporates) stuff that's condensed on the surface. Not just water, but also oils from fingerprints, etc.

Was the object heavier when hot or when cold?

Dr. Courtney said:
Can the effect be explained by buoyancy? Hotter -> thermal expansion -> displaces more air -> weighs less, but mass is unchanged.
Why speculate about this? Why don't you just calculate the effect and see what you obtain?

I don't know the geometry of the experiment, but there may have been natural convection currents in the air (caused by the hot block) in proximity with the scale that could have affected the measurement. Also, how about just the effect of the higher temperature on the scale mechanism?

I don't think that the mass of the block changed.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Why speculate about this? Why don't you just calculate the effect and see what you obtain?

I've done the calculation before. Students learn more if you encourage them to do it rather than posting the result. The OP also posted the magnitude of their observed effect, but not the direction. There is less motivation to chase down explanations when essential information is absent.

1. Does weight change with temperature?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, and it does not change with temperature. The mass of an object remains constant regardless of the temperature, and therefore its weight also remains constant.

2. Does inertia change with temperature?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is directly related to an object's mass, which does not change with temperature. Therefore, inertia also does not change with temperature.

3. Does momentum change with temperature?

Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. While the velocity of an object may change with temperature, its mass remains constant. Therefore, momentum does not change with temperature.

4. Can temperature affect an object's weight, inertia, or momentum?

No, temperature does not directly affect an object's weight, inertia, or momentum. However, changes in temperature can indirectly impact these factors by altering an object's physical properties, such as its volume or density.

5. How does temperature affect an object's weight, inertia, and momentum?

As mentioned earlier, changes in temperature can indirectly affect an object's weight, inertia, and momentum by altering its physical properties. For example, an object may expand or contract due to changes in temperature, which can affect its weight and inertia. Additionally, changes in temperature can also affect the surrounding medium, such as air or water, which can impact an object's momentum as it moves through these mediums.