Does your interest in learning cease at a certain age?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
I'm 56, and I never want to stop learning new things. In fact, along with a couple of collaborators, I've been studying apparently-interacting galaxies of the M51 type and had to learn lots of new stuff about them, including how to extract information from on-line databases and image sets so we could build our catalog and the associated data tables. Pretty dry work, but the result is a paper that has been accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal. We have another paper in the works, with probably at least one more to come afterward, and these will be more fun since the grind of building the catalog is behind us.

There's a lot more for me to learn, including advance statistical techniques, photometry, and other stuff that might relate to our upcoming projects. Another collaborator has joined our group for this project and he is in his 70's and still eager to learn.

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I suspect that answers here are definitely subject to the self selection phenomenon. :biggrin:

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My interest in learning will cease on June 30.

After that, I plan to take up heavy drinking.

Or maybe sex.

RonL
Gold Member
My interest in learning will cease on June 30.

After that, I plan to take up heavy drinking.

Or maybe sex.

Why not both ????:biggrin:

This forum is not a representative sample. In my experience, the vast majority of people are not interested in learning. The transition from being curious and liking learning to actively disliking learning appears to happen around age 10-12. I'm not sure why this is, possibly it has to do with the school system, or possibly it is related to the way the human mind develops.

I hope not... I actually find learning more interesting now than when I was younger. During school, you are told what to learn, as an adult, you can choose.

Yeah, me too. I'm just saying that most people are not like that.

turbo
Gold Member
A couple of years ago, my 80-year-old father saw me hand-feeding chickadees and nuthatches at my house, and acted more interested in birds than I had seen before, so I gave him one of my field guides. He started watching birds with his cheap binoculars, and called me every time he got stuck on an ID. My brother and I got together and bought him a very high-quality monocular for father's day, and he's still at it. His field guide is loaded with little scraps of paper with dates, etc - he refuses to write in it though I urge him to. And he still calls me when he stuck trying to ID a bird. Some people are eager to learn at any age.