Doesn't Electron Configuration Prove The Universe Has Three Dimensions

In summary, there is debate about how many dimensions there are in the universe. While I haven't studied quantum mechanics in a while now, it would seem that atoms(and electron clouds) behave as if they exist in three dimensions. Not two, not four, not ten, but three.
dimensionless
Is a three dimensional universe not a requirement for electrons to be configured as we know them? Wouldn't atoms at the least have to exist on a three dimensional brane for the electron clouds to exist as they do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to the theory that we might actually live in a two dimensional universe, and that the 3 dimensional information is stored like a hologram.

No. There is debate about how many dimensions there are in the universe. While I haven't studied quantum mechanics in a while now, it would seem that atoms(and electron clouds) behave as if they exist in three dimensions. Not two, not four, not ten, etc, but three.

It is possible that extra dimensions exist but are very small and thus don't affect physics at the scale of electron orbitals. As an analogy to how an extra dimension can be "small", a long, thin straw is essentially a one-dimensional object unless you shrink yourself down to a size smaller than the diameter of the straw, whereupon you perceive it as a two-dimensional object.

dimensionless said:
No. There is debate about how many dimensions there are in the universe. While I haven't studied quantum mechanics in a while now, it would seem that atoms(and electron clouds) behave as if they exist in three dimensions. Not two, not four, not ten, etc, but three.

This is a bit strange, because we CAN confined electrons to lower dimensions, for examples, and get a zoo of new physics out of them. Example: the physics of 1D electrons in Luttinger Liquid.

Besides, since when does an atom and its electron cloud become the standard that we based on the universe on? Just because we can describe such a system in 3D space doesn't mean that such a system is adequate to be used elsewhere!

Zz.

You are correct, but it would place a limitation on how large the extra dimensions could be.

dimensionless said:
You are correct, but it would place a limitation on how large the extra dimensions could be.

How did you draw up THAT conclusion? And what is the "limit"? How would that jive with the Randall-Sundrum-Arkani-Hamed proposal?

Zz.

I was responding to The _Duck's post. The limit I am referring to is one that would have thus far prevented us from detecting extra dimensions. In other words, the limit that would prevent extra dimensions from showing up in things like gravity fields and electric fields when described as a function of distance. I'm not familiar with the Randall-Sundrum-Arkani-Hamed proposal.

dimensionless said:
I was responding to The _Duck's post. The limit I am referring to is one that would have thus far prevented us from detecting extra dimensions. In other words, the limit that would prevent extra dimensions from showing up in things like gravity fields and electric fields when described as a function of distance. I'm not familiar with the Randall-Sundrum-Arkani-Hamed proposal.

Read, for example, N. Arkani-Hamed et al. Phys. Lett. B 429, 263 (1998), R. Sundrum, Phys. Rev. D 69, 044014 (2004).

Zz.

1. What is electron configuration?

Electron configuration is the arrangement of electrons within an atom. It describes the distribution of electrons among the energy levels and orbitals of an atom's electron cloud.

2. How does electron configuration relate to the number of dimensions in the universe?

The electron configuration of an atom is determined by the number of dimensions in which the electrons can move within the atom's electron cloud. Therefore, the electron configuration can provide evidence for the number of dimensions in the universe.

3. Can electron configuration be used to prove that the universe has three dimensions?

No, electron configuration alone cannot prove the number of dimensions in the universe. It can provide evidence, but it is not the only factor that determines the number of dimensions in the universe. Other physical laws and observations must also be considered.

4. Are there any alternative theories to explain the relationship between electron configuration and the number of dimensions in the universe?

Yes, there are alternative theories such as string theory or loop quantum gravity that propose more than three dimensions in the universe. These theories are still being researched and have not been proven.

5. How significant is the relationship between electron configuration and the number of dimensions in the universe?

The relationship between electron configuration and the number of dimensions in the universe is just one aspect of understanding the complex nature of our universe. While it can provide insight, it is not the sole factor in determining the number of dimensions and should not be considered the defining factor.