Doing another masters degree after having a masters degree

In summary, the speaker is from Malaysia and has a B.Sc. in Nuclear Science. They are currently involved in a research collaboration between their university and their company to develop and qualify Pipeline Automated Ultrasonic Testing Equipment. They are also considering registering as a part-time masters student in material science. However, their main interest is in nuclear science and engineering and they plan to pursue a masters degree in plasma physics or nuclear engineering in the future. The group discusses the possibility of having two masters degrees and the considerations involved.
Guan
Hello everyone,

I'm from Malaysia and I have a B.Sc. in Nuclear Science.

A university here is currently having a research collaboration with a my company to develop and qualify my company's Pipeline Automated Ultrasonic Testing Equipment and I'm currently involve in the project by doing the statistical analysis of the data collected to determine the probability of detection of the defect, performance check of the equipment and examining the macrograph of the weld sectioning. Apart from doing the qualification work, I can actually choose to register as a part time masters student, work on my thesis and get M.Sc. in material science.

But anyway, my main interest is in nuclear science and engineering. I planned to further my study maybe in masters of plasma physics or nuclear engineering in the future.

So, what do you guys think of taking another masters degree after already having one?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how much time your want to spend in school, and how easily you can fund it. But you can have two master's degrees, yeah, it's a thing. My dad has an MBA and a master's in Comp Sci.

1. Can I pursue another masters degree after completing one already?

Yes, it is possible to pursue another masters degree after completing one. Many universities offer postgraduate programs for individuals who have already obtained a masters degree.

2. Will having two masters degrees increase my job opportunities?

Having multiple masters degrees can make you a more competitive candidate for certain jobs, as it shows a higher level of education and specialization in multiple areas. However, job opportunities also depend on other factors such as experience and skills.

3. Can I transfer credits from my previous masters degree to the new one?

It depends on the university and program. Some universities may allow transfer of credits if the previous degree is in a related field, while others may not. It is important to check with the specific university and program for their policies on credit transfers.

4. Will I have to complete the same coursework again for the second masters degree?

It depends on the program and your previous coursework. Some programs may have similar or overlapping coursework, in which case you may not have to repeat them. However, if the coursework is significantly different, you may have to complete all the requirements for the new degree.

5. Is it worth pursuing another masters degree?

It depends on your individual goals and career aspirations. If the second masters degree aligns with your career goals and will provide you with new knowledge and skills, then it may be worth pursuing. However, it is important to consider the time, cost, and effort required for another masters degree before making a decision.