Doing Physics instead of Medicine. Am I messing up?

In summary, the person is from India and was planning to pursue a career in Medicine for the job security and benefits it offers, but does not have a passion for the field. Instead, they have decided to pursue a career in physics, which they find more interesting. However, they are concerned about the job prospects and potential struggles in the field of physics, especially compared to the guaranteed job and financial stability in Medicine. They are also considering branching out into other fields after obtaining a PhD in physics. The person is seeking advice and guidance on their decision.

Is it true that Physics is a doomed field and Im making a terrible mistake. Should I simply do med?

• Total voters
HughBrock
Hi, all through high school, I was going to pursue Medicine for the job security and other perks etc. that it offers. (Note that I'm from India and out here Medicine is not a PG degree unlike in the US)
I do not have any love for the field so to speak. I do find it interesting (I find all of science interesting but in the decreasing order of Physics, Chem and Bio.) but there isn't some kind of inner fire that burns within me that urges me to become a doc.
Now all through this, I was constantly reminding myself of the fact that I wouldn't become a physicist as I had originally planned.
Now after a great deal of heartburn, I have decided that I won't do Medicine and will pursue a career in physics. Namely BSc, MSc and then a PhD.
But now I'm feeling that I'm making a huge mistake by leaving Medicine which is pretty much like a pot of gold. A job is ensured and there won't be any financial struggle either. (Again in my country we have govt. run medical colleges which can provide you a medical education for as little as 1000-2000$ a year. Of course, the entrance exams are competitive but I know I can get through.)
I'm reading up a lot on the net and people are saying that most Physics PhDs are unemployed, and all this is very discouraging. Am I making a huuuge mistake??

Also can I branch out after a Phd in physics and do anything else? eg Media, Finance or Computers. Is a Phd in CS more advisable??

Physics news on Phys.org
HughBrock said:
Hi, all through high school, I was going to pursue Medicine for the job security and other perks etc. that it offers. (Note that I'm from India and out here Medicine is not a PG degree unlike in the US)
I do not have any love for the field so to speak.
That is all we need to know and it is trouble. Why in the world would you want to do something for 40 years. 40 years! That you don't enjoy. That is grade A recipe for a regrettable miserable life. So many students on here make life so hard on themselves for no good reason. Read my words. DO WHAT YOU LOVE. I don't care what it is. End of story.

Make sure you read through this
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/so-you-want-to-be-a-physicist.240792/

Unfortunately, the problem here is the location, i.e. where you are residing. From what I can tell, there is very limited employment opportunity for someone with a physics degree, even a PhD, in India, when compared to Medicine. So yes, you will have more significant challenge upon graduation. This is something that only YOU can decide for yourself, whether this is a risk that you are willing to take.

Now whether there is a large field of study and employment opportunity for someone with a Medical Physics degree in India, that I don't know. It might be something worth investigating and it could be the perfect marriage of the two.

Zz.

1. Am I making the right decision by choosing physics over medicine?

This is a common question that many students face when deciding between two fields. The answer ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Both physics and medicine offer unique and fulfilling career paths, so it is important to carefully consider your strengths and passions before making a decision.

2. Will I be able to have a successful career in physics without a medical degree?

Absolutely! While a medical degree can open up opportunities in certain areas of physics, there are many other career paths in the field that do not require a medical degree. With a strong foundation in physics, you can pursue careers in research, engineering, teaching, and more.

3. Is physics more difficult than medicine?

Both physics and medicine require a strong understanding of complex concepts and critical thinking skills. However, the difficulty level can vary from person to person. If you have a natural aptitude for mathematics and analytical thinking, you may find physics to be more manageable. Ultimately, the level of difficulty will depend on your individual strengths and weaknesses.

4. Will I have the same job opportunities in physics as I would in medicine?

While the job opportunities may differ between physics and medicine, there are still plenty of options available in the field of physics. As technology continues to advance, the demand for skilled physicists in various industries will only increase. Additionally, physics can open up opportunities in fields such as data science, finance, and even space exploration.

5. Can I still work in the medical field with a degree in physics?

Yes, you can still work in the medical field with a degree in physics. Many medical companies and research facilities hire physicists to work on specialized projects, such as developing new medical equipment or conducting research on the effects of radiation on the body. Additionally, you can also pursue a career in medical physics, which combines elements of both fields.