1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of a function - f(x,y)=root(1-x)+root(1-y)

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1

FOIWATER

Gold Member

I have came up with a solution for this - in order for this function to be defined, we must have an x and y between negative infinity up to and including the number 1.

If asked to graph this domain, does the domain lie on the x-y plane of three dimensional space, and is it the intersection of the domains of x and y?

I know the only sensible way to my question will likely go over my head - I Just started vector calculus - so no worries, I find it difficult for this to make sense to me.

I am thinking of the domain as the values "under" the z-plane in 3d space, if that makes any sense... at all - or above! or maybe a point in three-d space is ON the plane, when z is zero?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

i think this is simplay a 2D problem in x and y unless you want to make it 3D by stating f(x,y)=z

next what does the root(1-x) mean? I don't understand how to even plot this if I could.

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3

FOIWATER

Gold Member

well it's 1-x all under a square root sign

root(1-x) = sqrt(1-x)

you know?

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

okay got it so thats why x>1 or y>1 is out of bounds if you're dealing with real numbers but okay for complex numbers.

so I got a sideways parabola from ending at z=0 x=1 y=1

You might google on graph 3D calculator and try your formula. I did but I didnt have the flash plugin installed (I'm on linux) so I had to imagine how it looks rotating the x curve around (1,1,0)

6. Sep 23, 2012 #5

FOIWATER

Gold Member

really..hmm.. I got a rectangular plane - I don't think we are considering z here? hold it constant, and just focus on y and x right?

so we have x and y have both to be less than or equal to negative one. So they intersect on a rectangular plane going back to negative infinity....?

7. Sep 23, 2012 #6
    Assuming you are just dealing in real numbers, your domain is simply to do with x and y and it is [itex]\{x,y \in\mathbb R: x \leq 1,\ y \leq 1\}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook