Don't know where to begin mag field question

• Thread starter dewdrop714
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, Don't know where to begin...mag field question. Each support string connects to a corner of the rectangular ceiling. The current carrying wires are .5m apart. The current carrying wires have a mass per unit length of .150 kg/m. The currents are identical and in opposite directions. The magnetic field at each point is determined by multiplying the magnetic field at the point by the distance between the current carrying wire and the point.
dewdrop714
Don't know where to begin...mag field question

1. Homework Statement

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/dewdr0p714/?action=view&current=physicsexam2q2.jpg

Each support string connects to a corner of the rectangular ceiling. The current carrying wires are .5m apart. The current carrying wires have a mass per unit length of .150 kg/m. The currents are identical and in opposite directions.
Point A is 1m away from the wire on the right
Point B is exactly between the 2 wires
Point C is 1.5 m away from the wire on the left

(all the points are in the same plane as the 2 wires)

b) Determine the magnetic field B at Point A, Point B, and Point C

2. Homework Equations

i think this formula is supposed to be used but I'm not sure...B = F / |q0|(vsinθ)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know where to begin with this problem...can anyone give me any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org

hi dewdrop, do you know amperes law?

the equation you gave is for force on a moving charge in a magnetic field

i tried to solve the problem...can someone please check my work? i think i may have made a mistake somewhere along the way
I = 300 is given for the question

B for Point A = [μ0I / 2pi]*[(1/x) - (1/r+x)] = (4pi *10^-7)(300) / (2)(pi) * (1/1m) - (1/1.5m) = 1.97*10^-4 T

B for Point B = 2μ0I / (pi)(r) = 2*(4pi *10^-7)(300) / (.25)(pi) = 9.6 *10^-4 T

***i guess my biggest question is what am i supposed to use for the radius value?

r will be the distance from the point to the current carrying wire

- be careful with direction, at each point is the magnetic field from each wire up, or down?
- define a positive direction before attempting the problem
- eg. B is +ve in the up direction
- also writing B = 2μ0I / (pi.r) makes more sense as we know what is divided by

that said, your first calc looks ok (field opposite directions)
2nd 2 contributions at radius of 0.25 - also looks good

Last edited:

thanks for your help! =]

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon created by moving electric charges. It is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed, and it is typically represented by lines of force, also known as magnetic field lines.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the field. The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is the tesla (T) or gauss (G).

3. What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in our daily lives, including in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and compasses. They are also used in magnetic levitation technology, data storage devices, and particle accelerators.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field protect us?

The Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield against harmful charged particles from the sun and outer space. It deflects the particles away from the Earth's atmosphere, protecting us from their damaging effects.

5. How do I calculate the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the source. There are also online calculators and software programs available for more complex calculations.