More Forces with some trig; I don't know where the mistake is

In summary, when a force of magnitude F is applied to mass m, it accelerate at magnitude a = 4.49 m/s2.
iJamJL

Homework Statement

Mass m sits on a frictionless, horizontal table. Assume:
- All vertical forces acting on m (such as gravity and the normal force) sum to zero.
- All applied forces act parallel to the table
When a force of magnitude F is applied to mass m, it accelerate at magnitude a = 4.49 m/s2.

NOTE: The axes lie along the table.

Suppose force F1 has magnitude 2F and points at 45 degrees to the x-axis. If forces F1 and F2, with a magnitude F, act on mass m at the same time, what will the magnitude of its acceleration be now?

Homework Equations

Components

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve this by drawing a diagram, and F1 is pointing out at 45 degrees relative to the x-axis. I found its components, with the x-direction vector being 8.98cos(45) = 6.3498. F2 is already in that direction as well, so I just added the two vectors to get a sum of 10.8398. When I entered this answer as 10.84 into Webassign (online homework - I don't know who is familiar with it), it said that the answer is incorrect. Is it that I didn't put enough digits, or did I solve the problem incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi iJamJL! welcome to pf! :smile:
iJamJL said:
I found its components, with the x-direction vector being 8.98cos(45) = 6.3498. F2 is already in that direction as well, so I just added the two vectors to get a sum of 10.8398. When I entered this answer as 10.84 …

but that's only the x-component of the total force …

what about the y-component? :wink:

your description is a bit confusing you probably need to draw a force diagram to show what you mean. You mention one force F that accelerates the m horizontally and then shift
into F1 and F2 which I thought were components of a second force but then I got lost when you said F1 has a magnitude of 2F and that F1 and F2 have a magnitude of F?

tiny-tim said:
hi iJamJL! welcome to pf! :smile:but that's only the x-component of the total force …

what about the y-component? :wink:

Thanks for the welcome!

Hm, I see what you mean, tiny-tim. Let me see if I can get this right.

You're saying that I've got the x-component down for the F1 where it is 8.98 as the resultant. The x-component becomes 6.3498, and the y-component becomes 6.348. I can then carry these both on with the 4.49 from F2, making the vectors like this:

-> 10.8398
^ 6.348

Then the resultant vectors, with the Pythagorean theorem, results to 12.5618. Is this correct?

jedishrfu said:
your description is a bit confusing you probably need to draw a force diagram to show what you mean. You mention one force F that accelerates the m horizontally and then shift
into F1 and F2 which I thought were components of a second force but then I got lost when you said F1 has a magnitude of 2F and that F1 and F2 have a magnitude of F?

They do not give any values for the forces. That is how the problem is given.

iJamJL said:
You're saying that I've got the x-component down for the F1 where it is 8.98 as the resultant. The x-component becomes 6.3498, and the y-component becomes 6.348. I can then carry these both on with the 4.49 from F2, making the vectors like this:

-> 10.8398
^ 6.348

yes, that's correct :smile:

(though it would be better, and easier, if you added the forces

2F/√2 + F and 2F/√2 :wink:)​

tiny-tim said:
yes, that's correct :smile:

(though it would be better, and easier, if you added the forces

2F/√2 + F and 2F/√2 :wink:)​

You lost me there, tiny-tim. LOL but I understand it the other way, so I guess we could let it rest. Thank you!

1. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in the universe: gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force.

2. How is trigonometry used to calculate forces?

Trigonometry is used in physics to calculate the magnitude and direction of forces using trigonometric ratios such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. Can you explain the concept of vector addition in relation to forces?

Vector addition is used to combine multiple forces acting on an object. It involves finding the resultant force by adding the individual forces together using the rules of vector addition.

4. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

When the net force acting on an object is zero, the forces are balanced and the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity. Unbalanced forces result in a change in an object's motion.

5. How can I identify a mistake in my calculations for forces using trigonometry?

If your calculations for forces using trigonometry do not match the expected results, double-check your trigonometric ratios, use the correct units, and make sure all the forces and angles are correctly accounted for.