1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Forces with some trig; I don't know where the mistake is

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mass m sits on a frictionless, horizontal table. Assume:
    - All vertical forces acting on m (such as gravity and the normal force) sum to zero.
    - All applied forces act parallel to the table
    When a force of magnitude F is applied to mass m, it accelerate at magnitude a = 4.49 m/s2.

NOTE: The axes lie along the table.

Suppose force F1 has magnitude 2F and points at 45 degrees to the x-axis. If forces F1 and F2, with a magnitude F, act on mass m at the same time, what will the magnitude of its acceleration be now?

2. Relevant equations
    Components

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to solve this by drawing a diagram, and F1 is pointing out at 45 degrees relative to the x-axis. I found its components, with the x-direction vector being 8.98cos(45) = 6.3498. F2 is already in that direction as well, so I just added the two vectors to get a sum of 10.8398. When I entered this answer as 10.84 into Webassign (online homework - I don't know who is familiar with it), it said that the answer is incorrect. Is it that I didn't put enough digits, or did I solve the problem incorrectly?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi iJamJL! welcome to pf! :smile:
    but that's only the x-component of the total force …

what about the y-component? :wink:

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

your description is a bit confusing you probably need to draw a force diagram to show what you mean. You mention one force F that accelerates the m horizontally and then shift
    into F1 and F2 which I thought were components of a second force but then I got lost when you said F1 has a magnitude of 2F and that F1 and F2 have a magnitude of F?

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    Re: welcome to pf!

Thanks for the welcome!

Hm, I see what you mean, tiny-tim. Let me see if I can get this right.

You're saying that I've got the x-component down for the F1 where it is 8.98 as the resultant. The x-component becomes 6.3498, and the y-component becomes 6.348. I can then carry these both on with the 4.49 from F2, making the vectors like this:

-> 10.8398
    ^ 6.348

Then the resultant vectors, with the Pythagorean theorem, results to 12.5618. Is this correct?

6. Feb 20, 2012 #5
    They do not give any values for the forces. That is how the problem is given.

7. Feb 20, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, that's correct :smile:

(though it would be better, and easier, if you added the forces

2F/√2 + F and 2F/√2 :wink:)​

8. Feb 20, 2012 #7
    You lost me there, tiny-tim. LOL but I understand it the other way, so I guess we could let it rest. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook