1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler effect and relative motion

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone! I need some help with a Doppler effect/relative motion question.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A whistle with a frequency of 1200 Hz is travelling south at a velocity of 30.0 m/s. You are travelling north away from the whistle at a speed if 18.0 m/s. If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, what is the apparent frequency of the whistle as heard by you? (Answer: 1044 Hz)

2. Relevant equations
    f=(v/v+vs)fs

3. The attempt at a solution
    Relative to myself, the train is moving at a speed of 48 m/s south and therefore away from me. Using the aforementioned equation I calculated frequency at 1051 Hz. Is the answer key wrong or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
    The equation you have used is incorrect for the case when both source and observer are moving. Can you check in your notes or book for the correct one? It will have both speeds in it, vo and vs. You will also need to note that the velocity of the observer vo in the equation you should find will be negative if he's moving away from the source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook