1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler effect car horn question

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A policeman with a very good ear and a good understanding of the Doppler effect stands on the shoulder of a freeway assisting a crew in a 40-mph work zone. He notices a car approaching that is honking its horn. As the car gets closer, the policeman hears the sound of the horn as a distinct B4 tone (494 Hz). The instant the car passes by, he hears the sound as a distinct A4 tone (440 Hz). He immediately jumps on his motorcycle, stops the car, and gives the motorist a speeding ticket. Explain his reasoning.

3. The attempt at a solution
    f0 = f (V(sound) / (V(sound) - V(source)))
    since the car is moving toward the policemen it is negative
    so
    494Hz = 440Hz * (343 v/s / (343 - V))
    and V is 37.166 m/s...
    which is obviously not..
    i'm not sure where i went wrong probably doppler effect..

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2011 #2
    Well, I haven't really gone through any of the calculations in your problem... but... just off an initial glance I saw you came up with:

V = 37.166 m/s

Which is a decent answer. And you need to prove that this motorist was speeding past the limit of 40 mph... perhaps a conversion? Doing so would put the motorist's speed at ~80mph which is certainly justifiable for the policeman to pull the motorist over. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're looking for here.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. Jul 1, 2011 #3
    i converted to mph from m/s
    and i got 83 mph which still is the wrong answer
    i think it's the formula

5. Jul 1, 2011 #4
    f(police) = v / (v + v(source)) *f(source)

440 = 494 (767 / (767 + v))

v= 94 mph

does this make sense?

6. Jul 1, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, f(source) = 440 Hz & f(observer) = 494 Hz, so you'll get -94 mph.

7. Jul 1, 2011 #6
    The correct answer is 83 mph.

8. Jul 1, 2011 #7

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I didn't look up the Doppler effect formula, but I thought about it for a few minutes and came up with the following for a stationary observer and moving source:

[tex] f = f_0\left[\frac{1}{1 + v/c_s}\right] [/tex]

where cs is the sound speed, v is the source speed relative to the observer, and I use the convention that:
    v > 0 if the source moves away from the observer and,
    v < 0 if the source moves toward the observer.

It makes sense at least to the extent that f > f0 for v < 0 and vice versa.

Using this formula, with a sound speed of 343.2 m/s (taken from Wikipedia for dry air at 20 C) I get a result of:

v = -83.9 mi/h

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook