Doppler Effect of a Laser Reflected from a Moving Mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of beat frequency between an incident and reflected light from a plane mirror. The solution uses an equation involving the frequency of the source and the velocities of the observer and receiver. The book also mentions an approximation for the Doppler effect when v << c, where the wavelengths can be replaced by the frequencies.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

A laser emits a monchromic beam of wavelength λ, which is reflected normally from a plane mirror, receding at a speed v. What is the beat frequency between the incident and reflected light?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions starts off with this

[itex]f_{1} = \frac{f_{0}}{1 + \frac{v}{c}}[/itex]

But I'm not exactly sure where this equation came from. The solution uses

[itex]f_{0}[/itex] frequency of source
[itex]f_{1}[/itex] frequency of incident light (source) as measured by moving mirror
[itex]f_{2}[/itex] frequency of reflected light as measured by the moving mirror

I know that the Doppler effect is often stated as

[itex]\frac{λ^{'}}{λ} = \sqrt{\frac{1 - \frac{v}{c}}{1 + \frac{v}{c}}}[/itex]

So I'm not exactly sure where the first equation came from. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about your equation? In my book it is the same, but without the square root.

If you replace the wavelengths by the frequency and isolate for f1, you will get the equation, they start off with.

Remember that the two velocities are of the observer and reciever. So one of them is zero. The top velocity in your bracket, that is.

The lower velocity is positive, when the mirror moves away from a stationary source. So you get, what they have.

Ya. I just read underneath that part and it says that when [itex]v << c[/itex] Eq. (4-44) (the equation I posted in the first post for the Doppler Effect) is approximated by

[itex]\frac{λ^{'}}{λ} = 1 - \frac{v}{c}[/itex]

Which I didn't realize. I remember reading it earlier but it left my mind because I would rather use the equation in post one. It's interesting that your book doesn't mention it being a approximation, but that is probably because [itex]v << c[/itex] occurs a lot.

Thanks for the help.

hjelmgart said:
Are you sure about your equation? In my book it is the same, but without the square root.

If you replace the wavelengths by the frequency and isolate for f1, you will get the equation, they start off with.

Remember that the two velocities are of the observer and reciever. So one of them is zero. The top velocity in your bracket, that is.

The lower velocity is positive, when the mirror moves away from a stationary source. So you get, what they have.

Wait hold on. What allows us to simply replace the wavelengths with the frequencies and just interchange them? I thought that the equation applied to wavelengths. Oh ok I know why lol.

Yeah, well the "approximation" is the most commonly used equation, which probably explains it. Anyway, all equations are based on approximations to a certain degree :-)

What is the Doppler Effect of a laser?

The Doppler Effect of a laser refers to the change in frequency of light emitted from a laser source as a result of relative motion between the source and the observer.

How does the Doppler Effect of a laser work?

The Doppler Effect of a laser works by causing a shift in the wavelength of the light emitted from the laser as a result of the motion of the source or observer. This shift in wavelength is directly proportional to the velocity of the source or observer.

What factors affect the Doppler Effect of a laser?

The Doppler Effect of a laser is affected by the velocity of the source or observer, as well as the angle of observation and the speed of light in the medium through which the light is traveling.

What are some real-world applications of the Doppler Effect of a laser?

The Doppler Effect of a laser is used in a variety of applications, including measuring the speed and direction of moving objects, studying the motion of celestial bodies, and detecting and measuring blood flow in medical imaging.

Can the Doppler Effect of a laser be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Effect of a laser can be observed in everyday life. For example, when a police officer uses a radar gun to measure the speed of a moving vehicle, they are utilizing the Doppler Effect of a laser. Additionally, when we see the light from a moving vehicle's headlights appear to shift in color as it approaches or moves away from us, we are observing the Doppler Effect of a laser.