1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot Product Clarification (Kleppner & Kolenkow p.9)

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    Problem:

In Kleppner's book, Introduction to Mechanics, he states

"By writing [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] as the sums of vectors along each of the coordinate axes, you can verify that [itex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = A_{x}B_{x} + A_{y}B_{y} + A_{z}B_{z}[/itex]."

He suggests summing vectors, but since the sum of two vectors vectors [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] is a new vector [itex]\vec{C}[/itex], I don't understand how the result could be a scalar. Am I missing something?

When I was introduced to the dot product in Stewart's Calculus, he presents it as definition.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2
    I don't get it either. What is the context in which Kleppner makes this statement?

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

He's not suggesting summing vectors but representing each vector as the sum of its components times unit vectors.

Like:
    A = Ax i + Ay j + Az k

Then you can take the scalar product (of A and B) and see the result more easily.

5. Jun 4, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

I have the book as well. Does he not simply mean write: $$\mathbf{A} = A_x \hat{x} + A_y \hat{y} + A_z \hat{z}\,\,\,\,\text{and}\,\,\,\, \mathbf{B} = B_x \hat{x} + B_y \hat{y} + B_z \hat{z}$$ and then take dot product.

I assume by writing vectors A and B like this is what he means by 'sum of vectors along each of the coordinate axes'.

Edit: Doc Al said same thing.

6. Jun 4, 2013 #5
    The above are correct

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted