Dot Product Clarification (Kleppner & Kolenkow p.9)

In summary, Kleppner suggests representing vectors as the sum of its components times unit vectors in order to easily calculate the scalar product. This is different from summing vectors, which would result in a new vector.
Von Neumann
Problem:

In Kleppner's book, Introduction to Mechanics, he states

"By writing [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] as the sums of vectors along each of the coordinate axes, you can verify that [itex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = A_{x}B_{x} + A_{y}B_{y} + A_{z}B_{z}[/itex]."

He suggests summing vectors, but since the sum of two vectors vectors [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] is a new vector [itex]\vec{C}[/itex], I don't understand how the result could be a scalar. Am I missing something?

When I was introduced to the dot product in Stewart's Calculus, he presents it as definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get it either. What is the context in which Kleppner makes this statement?

Von Neumann said:
He suggests summing vectors, but since the sum of two vectors vectors [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] is a new vector [itex]\vec{C}[/itex], I don't understand how the result could be a scalar. Am I missing something?
He's not suggesting summing vectors but representing each vector as the sum of its components times unit vectors.

Like:
A = Ax i + Ay j + Az k

Then you can take the scalar product (of A and B) and see the result more easily.

I have the book as well. Does he not simply mean write: $$\mathbf{A} = A_x \hat{x} + A_y \hat{y} + A_z \hat{z}\,\,\,\,\text{and}\,\,\,\, \mathbf{B} = B_x \hat{x} + B_y \hat{y} + B_z \hat{z}$$ and then take dot product.

I assume by writing vectors A and B like this is what he means by 'sum of vectors along each of the coordinate axes'.

Edit: Doc Al said same thing.

The above are correct

Last edited:

1. What is the dot product in physics?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product or inner product, is a mathematical operation used in physics to calculate the magnitude of one vector projected onto another vector. It can be thought of as a way to measure the similarity or alignment between two vectors.

2. How is the dot product calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding the products together. For example, if vector A has components (a1, a2, a3) and vector B has components (b1, b2, b3), then the dot product (A * B) is equal to (a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3).

3. What is the purpose of the dot product in physics?

In physics, the dot product is used to determine the work done by a force in a particular direction, the angle between two vectors, and the component of one vector in the direction of another. It also has applications in calculating the magnitude of a force and determining whether two vectors are parallel or perpendicular.

4. How is the dot product related to the angle between two vectors?

The dot product is mathematically related to the angle between two vectors by the equation: cosθ = (A * B) / (|A| * |B|), where θ is the angle between the two vectors and |A| and |B| represent the magnitudes of the vectors. This relationship allows us to use the dot product to calculate the angle between two vectors.

5. Can the dot product be negative?

Yes, the dot product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, and the projection of one vector onto the other is in the opposite direction. In this case, the dot product is negative because the cosine of the angle is negative.