1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot Product Involving Path of a Curve

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##\gamma(t)## be a path describing a level curve of ##f : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}##. Show, for all ##t##, that ##( \nabla f ) (\gamma(t))## is orthogonal to ##\gamma ' (t)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##\gamma(t) = ((x(t), y(t))##
    ##\gamma ' (t) = F(\gamma(t))##
    ##F = \nabla f = \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_2}\right)## [this is called a gradient field]

None of these were given for the question at hand but I think they might be useful.

3. The attempt at a solution
    If ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## are the parameters for ##\gamma(t)##, then ##( \nabla f ) (\gamma(t)) = \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)##

But both ##\nabla f (\gamma(t))## and ##\gamma ' (t)## are equal to ##F(\gamma(t))##, so the dot product is

##F(\gamma(t)) \cdot F(\gamma(t)) = ||F(\gamma(t))||^2##

At this point, I'm stuck. I don't think ##||F(\gamma(t))||^2## would be 0 for any ##t## let alone for any function ##f : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}##. Did I make a bad assumption/simplification somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that [itex]f(\lambda(t))[/itex] is a constant for all t and use the chain rule.

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    EDIT: I see now, thank you for the help!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook