Dot Products -- Some questions to help my understanding

• B
  • Thread starter JackFyre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot
In summary: No. Direction is defined relative to chosen coordinate axes, e.g. "east", "north", ##\hat x##, ##\hat y##, etc. The projection of ##\vec A## onto ##\vec B## will be the same number regardless of the orientation of the two vectors relative to the coordinate axes used to describe them.The component of ##\vec A## in the direction of ##\vec B## can be written as a dot product ##A_B=\vec A \cdot \left(\dfrac{\vec B}{B}\right)=\vec A\cdot\hat B##. Note that the fraction in parentheses is a unit vector in the direction
JackFyre
TL;DR Summary
Just a little confusion regarding cross products.
Just a little doubt regarding vector dot products-
From what I understand(which may be wrong), dot products are the products of the magnitudes of the two vectors.
The equation is given as a · b= |a|x|b|cos θ
Can this be understood as the magnitude of a x the magnitude of b in the direction of vector a?
if so, don't dot products inherently have a direction?
220px-Dot_Product.svg.png
So in this picture, won't the direction of the product be in the direction of vector B?
(I know I am mistaken, just need a clarification that will clear up my confusion!)

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
JackFyre said:
Summary:: Just a little confusion regarding cross products.

Just a little doubt regarding vector dot products-
From what I understand(which may be wrong), dot products are the products of the magnitudes of the two vectors.
The equation is given as a · b= |a|x|b|cos θ
Can this be understood as the magnitude of a x the magnitude of b in the direction of vector a?
View attachment 275496So in this picture, won't the direction of the product be in the direction of vector B?
(I know I am mistaken, just need a clarification that will clear up my confusion!)

Cheers!
You are talking about the dot or scalar product. Not to be confused with the cross or vector product.

The dot product itself is a scalar by definition: $$\vec a \cdot \vec b = |\vec a||\vec b| \cos \theta$$
It is, however, sometimes useful to consider the vector: $$(\vec a \cdot \vec b) \hat a \ \ \text{or} \ \ (\vec a \cdot \vec b) \hat b $$

• Informative
Likes berkeman
PeroK said:
It is, however, sometimes useful to consider the vector:
Interesting. What is that used for?

Likes Chestermiller
JackFyre said:
Summary:: Just a little confusion regarding cross products.

No. Direction is defined relative to chosen coordinate axes, e.g. "east", "north", ##\hat x##, ##\hat y##, etc. The projection of ##\vec A## onto ##\vec B## will be the same number regardless of the orientation of the two vectors relative to the coordinate axes used to describe them.

The component of ##\vec A## in the direction of ##\vec B## can be written as a dot product ##A_B=\vec A \cdot \left(\dfrac{\vec B}{B}\right)=\vec A\cdot\hat B##. Note that the fraction in parentheses is a unit vector in the direction of ##\vec B## and that if you replace "##B##" with "##x##", you get the familiar form ##A_x=\vec A\cdot\hat x.## In short, ##A_B## has as much "inherent" direction as ##A_x##.

Likes JackFyre
JackFyre said:
Just a little confusion regarding cross products.
Just a little doubt regarding vector dot products
Here are good explanations on both:

Likes JackFyre

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is also known as the inner product or scalar product.

2. How is a dot product calculated?

A dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then summing the products. This can be represented as a∙b = a1b1 + a2b2 + ... + anbn, where a and b are vectors with n components.

3. What is the significance of the dot product?

The dot product has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to find the angle between two vectors, determine if two vectors are perpendicular, and calculate work done by a force in a given direction.

4. Can the dot product be negative?

Yes, the dot product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, indicating that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions.

5. How is the dot product related to the magnitude of vectors?

The dot product is related to the magnitude of vectors through the cosine of the angle between the two vectors. The dot product divided by the product of the magnitudes of the vectors gives the cosine of the angle between them. This relationship is known as the dot product formula cosθ = (a∙b) / (|a| * |b|).