Double derivatives of F as a function of F and harmonicity

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem where they are given a set of conditions for a function to be harmonic, but does not seem to be making any progress. The teacher suggests that the student might want to use implicit differentiation to try and find a function that is equal to a constant.
Verdict

Homework Statement

Screen_shot_2013_03_17_at_8_12_00_PM.png

Homework Equations

I can't think of much. u(x,y) is harmonic, so its double derivatives with respect to x and y add up to zero. I'm not 100% sure, but does being harmonic also imply that u satisfies the cauchy riemann equations? That might come in handy in the denominator.

The Attempt at a Solution

Where to begin, where to begin. To me, the question sounds very vague. The second derivative of a constant, isn't that just zero? What should I do? I know this is a lousy way to post a question, but I honestly don't even know where to begin. If you have any tips (just to get me started!) that would be great.

Kind regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I always thought that if u(x,y) is harmonic, then DEL^2 u = 0.

That was a terrible typo on my part, in my case it means that the second derivative of u with respect to x plus the second derivative of u with respect to y add up to 0, which is the 2D version of what you are saying

I really don't understand what you mean by "the equation F(x,y)= constant" can be expressed as u(x,y)= constant with u harmonic" unless you mean that f(x, y) is a harmonic function plus a constant: F(x,y)= u(x,y)+ C.
Then [itex]\partial^2 F/\partial x^2= \partial^2 u/\partial x^2[/itex] and [itex]\partial^2F/\partial y^2= \partial^2 u/\partial y^2[/itex] and, as you say, the sum of those is 0.

I'm not sure, I'll email my teacher to ask that, because it doesn't make sense indeed.

His reply is the following
consider the set defined by u(x,y)=constant. This is not the only way to describe this set. For example, if u(x,y)=constant also (u(x,y))^2=constant, or take any function F applied to u(x,y) give F(u(x,y))=constant. Now can you choose F such that F(u(x,y)) is harmonic?

i've been trying to figure this out for a day or so now, but I really don't seem to be making a lot of progress. I tried plugging in F(u(x, y)) with u harmonic, but not a whole lot cancels. Could anyone provide a hint?

I was thinking, maybe I should use implicit differentiation, as the function is equal to a constant? I don't really see where that gets me, but I am pretty desperate at this point.

1. What is the significance of double derivatives in a function of F?

The double derivative of a function of F is a measure of the curvature of the function at a specific point. It can tell us whether the function is increasing or decreasing, and whether the rate of change is accelerating or decelerating. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions.

2. How are double derivatives of F calculated?

The double derivative of F is calculated by taking the derivative of the derivative of F. In other words, the second derivative is the rate of change of the first derivative. This can be done using the chain rule or other derivative rules depending on the specific function.

3. What is the relationship between double derivatives and harmonicity?

Harmonicity refers to the smoothness and regularity of a function. The more harmonic a function is, the more predictable and stable it is. Double derivatives of F can help determine the level of harmonicity in a function by showing how quickly the function is changing.

4. Can double derivatives of F be negative?

Yes, double derivatives of F can be negative. This indicates that the function is concave, meaning it is curving downwards. When the second derivative is negative, the function is decreasing at an increasing rate.

5. How are double derivatives of F used in real-world applications?

Double derivatives of F are used in various fields of science and engineering to analyze data and make predictions. In physics, they can help describe the motion of objects and the behavior of physical systems. In economics, they can be used to model supply and demand curves. In machine learning, they can be used to optimize algorithms and improve prediction accuracy.