Physics/CS DMajor, for a career in Aerospace?

In summary, an Aerospace Engineering degree will give you the skills and knowledge you need to be an engineer in the aerospace industry.
Alexandros101
I want to get into Aerospace engineering, so I am thinking of doing:

B.A. in Physics/CS (hopefully if I get accepted in UChicago)
then an M.S. in Aerospace Engineering (hopefully in Stanford/GTech/MIT/CalTech)

Is the double major I am thinking of poor if I want to do an Aero M.S. next?
Would these qualifications give me a good standing in the Aerospace market for jobs in NASA/SpaceX/Boeing...etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to get into aerospace engineering, why are you doing a BA in physics and computer science?

Likes Nidum, Jaeusm, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
micromass said:
If you want to get into aerospace engineering, why are you doing a BA in physics and computer science?
I think a Physics/CS DMajor will give me some excellent skills and way of thinking that I will find useful once I become an engineer. Programming is essential in aerospace, and physics will provide me with an understanding of various topics, and a creative problem solving method.

Also, not many colleges provide a B.S. in Aerospace (only Stanford, to which I will apply, and MIT. The others are public, so no FA for internationals) and a B.S. in MechEng does not interest me.

Moreover, a Physics/CS Dmajor will pay good money for a couple of years before I get into grad school.

Alexandros101 said:
I think a Physics/CS DMajor will give me some excellent skills and way of thinking that I will find useful once I become an engineer. Programming is essential in aerospace, and physics will provide me with an understanding of various topics, and a creative problem solving method.

Also, not many colleges provide a B.S. in Aerospace (only Stanford, to which I will apply, and MIT. The others are public, so no FA for internationals) and a B.S. in MechEng does not interest me.

Moreover, a Physics/CS Dmajor will pay good money for a couple of years before I get into grad school.

You know degrees in Aerospace Engineering are basically specialized versions of degrees in Mechanical Engineering, right?

I would think a better double major would be majors in Physics/Aerospace or Physics/ME with a focus on more computationally heavy subjects of the engineering discipline like finite element analysis (FEA) or computational fluid dynamics (CFD), I don't think you need an entire degree in CS to do what will essentially be numerical analysis in engineering (assuming you're not doing things related to data science which would require data structures and such like).

Not that I don't think your original plan wouldn't work but being a Physics/Electrical Engineering graduate myself, I can tell you the physics major grants one expertise in general mathematical modeling of physical problems but depending on your electives a standard physics major would leave you playing catchup on some more aerospace specific subjects like fluids, structures, controls, machine design using CAD software and such like.

I know plenty of people who moved from general degrees like physics and math to more specific ones like nuclear engineering and electrical engineering in grad school, but it's always more advantageous to get experience in the path you want to go to, so definitely do at least some undergrad work in aerospace.

Likes Alexandros101 and Nidum
Thank you for the advice!

1. What is the difference between physics and computer science in terms of majoring for a career in aerospace?

Physics is the study of matter and energy, and how they interact with each other. It helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. Computer science, on the other hand, deals with the design and development of computer systems and software. In the aerospace industry, physics is used to understand the physical properties and behavior of aircraft and spacecraft, while computer science is used to design and simulate complex systems and processes.

2. What skills are important for a physics/computer science major interested in pursuing a career in aerospace?

Some important skills for a physics/computer science major in the aerospace industry include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming languages, knowledge of physics principles and equations, critical thinking abilities, and attention to detail. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are also highly valued in the aerospace field.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available for a physics/computer science major in the aerospace industry?

There are a wide range of job opportunities for physics/computer science majors in the aerospace industry. Some possible career paths include aerospace engineer, software engineer, data analyst, research scientist, systems engineer, and many more. These roles can be found in various sectors of the aerospace industry, such as aircraft and spacecraft manufacturing, defense, government agencies, and research institutions.

4. What kind of courses should a physics/computer science major take to prepare for a career in aerospace?

To prepare for a career in aerospace, a physics/computer science major should take courses in physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering. Specific courses that may be beneficial include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, programming languages (such as C++ and Python), data structures, and control systems. It is also important to gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects related to aerospace.

5. How can a physics/computer science major stay updated on advancements and innovations in the aerospace industry?

A great way for a physics/computer science major to stay updated on advancements and innovations in the aerospace industry is by actively participating in professional organizations and attending conferences and workshops. They can also follow industry news, read scientific journals and publications, and network with professionals in the field. It is also important to continue learning and developing new skills through online courses or certifications.