Double Major Physics/Math vs. Physics Major/Minor in CS

In summary: You're paying for an education. If you're happy with your decision, great. If you're not, that's okay too. Just be honest about it.In summary, based on what the author says, a double major in mathematics and physics is a good choice, as it will help with career prospects and practical application in the 'real world.' However, the author suggests that if you don't like CS, a minor in physics is not a good idea, as you will miss out on learning a lot of math.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Greetings all,

I am an older college student (25, sophomore currently) and have a decent amount of credits under my belt.
My original plan attending university is/was to achieve a BS in Physics and a minor in Computer science. This could be accomplished in the next two years for me, rather easily (ease of schedule).

However, I have really been enjoying math - to the point where I look forward to assignments - and have been disliking computer science. I am considering a double major in physics and mathematics.

I believe that if I could choose whatever I wanted based on just my feelings, I would instantly choose double major in Math/Physics. I am wondering if this is a good choice:

1) How important is an understanding of CS in physics disciplines today? Is it so important that me making this decision will harm me someday.
2) I am not one to really care about job prospects, but for argument's sake, how does this effect me in 'real world' today?
3) My other fear: Focusing my attention on higher leveled math courses may be impractical for life. Do you agree with this statement? Is higher level math more of a 'game' rather then practical application towards everyday life? I am focused on making this world a better place someday and intend to do so.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is it about CS that you dislike? I'm asking because if it's programming you dislike, that's not all computer science is about. There are some much more interesting topics that are more abstract/theoretical (algorithms, computability theory, automata, etc.).

The need for CS knowledge depends on what kind of physics you want to do. If you want to do quantum information/quantum computing in the areas of quantum algorithms, quantum error correction, cryptography, Turing machine etc. then actual CS knowledge will come in handy.

I see the computational physics grad students always scouring the internet for some open source software that can do ab-initio or whatever it is they need to do. I don't think they have a CS background.

I think the minor helps on paper, as a formality in case programming would be required for some job. Skill-wise I don't think it's a big game changer. I'm a physics major getting a CS minor. The couple of programming courses I've taken got me a research job with a bioinformatics group. I don't do much coding though, I just use legacy code that's been handed down to me.

If you don't like CS the minor would be a waste of time. Do math/physics if that's what makes you happy.

Likes RJLiberator
I appreciate the information. I will check in with a few things CS related to get a better understanding of it before I make the final decision, however, I am thoroughly enjoying mathematics and permitting this isn't a 'bad' choice for some unforeseen reason(s), I think I will pursue the double major.

I don't know why I chose your thread to say this, with the countless minor/double major questions on here, but be careful when studying more than one topic.

I'm graduating this quarter with a major in math, minor in physics and I almost wish I didn't do the minor. Instead, I wish I simply took (more) graduate classes. I'm graduating with a senior thesis and 4 graduate classes (and plans for grad school), so it's totally possible to fully explore one topic, but I wish I wouldn't have done the minor and instead done a ton more graduate work. I took 6 upper division physics classes (along with 4 lower division ones), and I feel like I would be way better off now had I taken 6 or 10 more graduate math classes. It sounds like a lot, but really a class is a class. Maybe only 5 more graduate classes, but still.

Part of getting a degree (ANY degree) is being able to learn things on your own. If you get a degree in physics, a lot of the math you missed out on can be learned on your own, same with CS. With CS, you can learn programming online easily. There are a ton of resources. It might be a better use of your time to skip the minor or double major, and take graduate classes or do research or something.

I've also found in doing the minor in physics is how much overlap there is. A huge part of quantum mechanics was just getting used to the linear algebra. I took a year of functional analysis, so a lot of stuff was repeated. If I wanted to fill in the gaps with the physics, it wouldn't have been impossible for me to learn it on my own. Similarly, had I only taken the quantum class it wouldn't have been impossible for me to learn functional analysis.

Also, a huge part of going to college is having the time to play with the material. When you have a lot of classes, you don't get that chance. I have been taking some huge schedules this past year, and although I did well in my classes, I really wish I had more time to play with the material. I had to be practical in my time studying. That's not what college is about, IMO. I miss taking a homework problem, and just playing with it. What happens if I add or remove this assumption, what happens in this or that limit, what does the result really mean? When I take larger schedules, it's really practical and my whole goal while studying is to churn out correct solutions quickly. I don't like that.

This is longer than necessary and fairly offtopic, I'm sorry, I just wanted to get it out there.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, a beautiful post. As if my future self is here to guide me :).

Thank you for your views. I found it greatly interesting and applying to my situation.

I'm not quite sure how I am going to respond to an experience like that. On one hand, it seems extremely logical to just focus in one area, but the allure of enjoying two magnificent fields is beautiful to me (and hard to resist). I think I may need to bring this up with my advisor.

RJLiberator said:
1) How important is an understanding of CS in physics disciplines today? Is it so important that me making this decision will harm me someday.
2) I am not one to really care about job prospects, but for argument's sake, how does this effect me in 'real world' today?
3) My other fear: Focusing my attention on higher leveled math courses may be impractical for life. Do you agree with this statement? Is higher level math more of a 'game' rather then practical application towards everyday life? I am focused on making this world a better place someday and intend to do so.

1. Not too much. You will have to learn programming and some computational software (like Mathematica) but you won't need any computer science specifics like complex algorithms, networks etc.

2. I don't think it is too difficult for math/physics to go into the software engineering field, so job prospects shouldn't be that big of an issue.

3. Most areas of mathematics have some applications.

If you're asking my opinion, you should go with Mathematics/Physics primarily because you seem to enjoy it more than computer science. After all, that's what matters most.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is the difference between a double major in Physics and Math vs. a Physics major with a minor in CS?

A double major in Physics and Math means that a student is pursuing two full majors in both subjects, requiring a larger course load and a deeper understanding of both fields. On the other hand, a Physics major with a minor in CS means that a student is focusing primarily on Physics, but also taking a smaller number of courses in Computer Science to complement their studies.

2. Which option is better for pursuing a career in research?

Both options can lead to a successful career in research, as they both provide a strong foundation in quantitative and analytical skills. However, a double major in Physics and Math may be more beneficial for research in theoretical physics or mathematical physics, while a Physics major with a minor in CS may be more advantageous for research in computational physics or data analysis.

3. Will a double major in Physics and Math be more challenging than a Physics major with a minor in CS?

It depends on the individual student's strengths and interests. A double major in Physics and Math will require a heavier course load and a deeper understanding of both subjects, while a Physics major with a minor in CS may allow for a more balanced workload. However, both options will require dedication and hard work to succeed.

4. Can I switch from a double major to a major with a minor, or vice versa?

It is possible to switch between these options, but it may require careful planning and consultation with academic advisors. Some courses may not count towards both majors, so it is important to consider the potential impact on graduation requirements and course sequencing.

5. How will having a double major or minor affect my job prospects?

Hiring managers and employers often value a diverse and well-rounded skill set. Having a double major or minor in a related field can demonstrate a strong foundation in both subjects and may make a candidate more competitive for certain job opportunities. However, it is ultimately up to the individual to demonstrate their skills and knowledge during the hiring process.