1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Pulley Systems/Complex Pulley System Problems

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    Hey..
    This is a question I received as part of my homework

Your great grandmother gave you an antique scale that her great grandmother gave to her. It consists of a square platform mounted on 4 identical
    springs. When you step on the platform, you compress the springs, causing
    the platform to descend slightly, A needle indicates by how many centimeters you have descended. Unfortunately the conversion to useful units (like
    stone, or poundals) has been lost. However, your great-grandmother also
    gave you an extra spring, and on its label it says that the spring constant
    is 1.5 × 10
    4N/m. When you get on the scale you cause the platform to
    descend by 0.98cm. What is your mass?

I have no idea how to go about solving this problem or what equations to use but, do I have to use the principles of conservation of energy for this? Equating gravitational to spring?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2
    Hi mk8993 ,if I'm not wrong then this is d solution:
    When you got on the platform you applies a force(=your weight) on it which causes all the 4 springs to descend.Suppose your weight is W.
    From spring const. eqn. F=kx,since all the 4 springs descend through the same distance then the force is distributed into four(number of springs) parts according to their spring constants i.e here, x being constant the more the value of k the more F will be.Here all springs have same value of k so,for one spring W/4=1.5*10^4*0.98*10^-2⇔W=588N
    so your mass is =588/9.8=60kg[assuming g=9.8m/s^2]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook