Double slit experiment doesn't work

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempts to create a wave interference pattern using a piece of carton with two strands cut out. The individual has tried using different light sources but has not been successful. It is suggested to use a laser, specifically a cheap laser-pointer, to achieve the desired result.
itaybrodsky
I took a piece of carton and cut out to strands in it. When I shine the line through it, it only projects the two strands on the other side. I tried it with every light in my house but it still didn't work. what do I have to do, to create the wave interference pattern on the other side.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to demonstrate two-slit interference with ordinary light sources because they're incoherent and emit a mixture of wavelengths. Have you tried a laser? A cheap laser-pointer should do the job OK.

1. Why does the double slit experiment sometimes not work?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It works by passing a beam of particles, such as photons or electrons, through two slits and observing the resulting interference pattern. However, there are certain conditions in which the experiment may not work, such as when the particles are too large or the slits are too close together.

2. Can the double slit experiment be performed with any type of particle?

The double slit experiment has been successfully performed with various types of particles, including photons, electrons, and even complex molecules. However, the results may vary depending on the size and properties of the particles used.

3. How does the observer affect the outcome of the double slit experiment?

In the double slit experiment, the observer plays a crucial role in determining the outcome. When the experiment is observed, the particles behave like particles and create a pattern on the screen behind the slits. However, when the experiment is not observed, the particles behave like waves and create an interference pattern. This is known as the observer effect.

4. Is the double slit experiment still relevant in modern science?

Yes, the double slit experiment is still considered a fundamental and relevant experiment in modern science. It continues to be used in research and has implications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, optics, and information theory.

5. Can the results of the double slit experiment be explained by classical physics?

No, the results of the double slit experiment cannot be explained by classical physics. The experiment's results challenge classical concepts such as causality and determinism, and can only be explained by quantum mechanics.