1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double-slit experiment of Young

1. Mar 26, 2006 #1

ntk

What will we see on the screen in double-slit experiment if I use two radiation have wavelength l_1 and l_2 . I know there will be two systems of interference fringe, call I and II. But what if one light region of I is coincident one dark region of II ?
    And then how many light regions do we see on the screen ?
    Have to say that I've never do this experiment :frown:

Is it a very stuppid question ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Very interesting question. It is investigations like these that teach us more about nature. The double slit experiment is basically an interaction between matter (the double slit) and photons (the monochromatic light). Investigations of such seems to indicate that the photons motion is determined by the slits, that is where the photon diffracted is determined by the presence of the slits. The statistical distribution of the photons in the pattern depends on the wavelength and the distance between the slits.

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Actually, if white light, which contains all the wavelengths of the spectrum, is shined at a set of double slits, you will see all of the colors on the screen(behind the slits) because each color(wavelength) is strongest at a different distance from the center.

5. Mar 30, 2006 #4

ntk

Thank you very much.
    Actually, the problem i have to solve is to determine number of light regions if i use two monochromatic lights in the double-slit experiment

6. Mar 30, 2006 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

What do you mean by the number of light regions? Bright bands per unit distance?

7. Mar 30, 2006 #6
    Use the diagram here :
    Young's Double Slit

Should help you sort it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?