• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Double-slit experiment of Young

• Thread starter ntk
  • Start date
ntk
What will we see on the screen in double-slit experiment if I use two radiation have wavelength l_1 and l_2 . I know there will be two systems of interference fringe, call I and II. But what if one light region of I is coincident one dark region of II ?
And then how many light regions do we see on the screen ?
Have to say that I've never do this experiment :frown:

Is it a very stuppid question ?

Answers and Replies

andrevdh
Homework Helper
Very interesting question. It is investigations like these that teach us more about nature. The double slit experiment is basically an interaction between matter (the double slit) and photons (the monochromatic light). Investigations of such seems to indicate that the photons motion is determined by the slits, that is where the photon diffracted is determined by the presence of the slits. The statistical distribution of the photons in the pattern depends on the wavelength and the distance between the slits.

daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Actually, if white light, which contains all the wavelengths of the spectrum, is shined at a set of double slits, you will see all of the colors on the screen(behind the slits) because each color(wavelength) is strongest at a different distance from the center.

ntk
Thank you very much.
Actually, the problem i have to solve is to determine number of light regions if i use two monochromatic lights in the double-slit experiment

andrevdh
Homework Helper
What do you mean by the number of light regions? Bright bands per unit distance?

ntk said:
What will we see on the screen in double-slit experiment if I use two radiation have wavelength l_1 and l_2 .
Use the diagram here :
http://www.physics.northwestern.edu/ugrad/vpl/optics/diffraction.html" [Broken]

Should help you sort it out.

Last edited by a moderator: