Double-slit experiment with magnets and iron projectiles

• Thread starter atomistic
  • Start date
Hi,

I am not sure if this kind of experiment has been performed before. If so, great, I would love to see the results. Anyway, here goes.

The double-slit experiments with photons, electrons and even http://hexagon.physics.wisc.edu/teaching/2010s%20ph531%20quantum%20mechanics/interesting%20papers/zeilinger%20large%20molecule%20interference%20ajp%202003.pdf" [Broken] all display the characteristic interference patterns associated with waves. I am really interested to know what the pattern will be like if we where to generate the following setup.

Experimental setup:
1) Projectiles = round magnetic objects of same shape, size and mass and speed (e.g. iron ball-bearings)
2) A single slit and a double slit composed of magnets with equal "strength" (see figure)
Experiment.png

and
Experiment 2.png

Can it be done, has it been done and what are the results like or what do you think the results will be like?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

They will be particles, with trajectory changed by the magnets. What are you trying to ask?

They will be particles, with trajectory changed by the magnets. What are you trying to ask?
I just want to know what the pattern would look like after the particles pass through the slits. An interference pattern of some sort or not?

Why would there be an interference pattern? There aren't any waves to speak of.

I just think it would be interesting to have experimental/empirical results for this kind of experiment. I don't know what to expect honestly, regardless of the fact that magnetic balls are not waves. What do you expect to see bloodthunder?

Well, I feel all you would see is probably just particles going through a slit, with the "intensities" on the other side corresponding to the number of slits, with the slits probably being slightly wider due to their trajectory being slightly shifted.
So... what is your purpose of experimentation? What are you trying to show?

Check out the Aharonov-Bohm effect...

You will see no interference effects with macroscopic objects like those described, only
their 'particle' nature can be observed.

Check out the Aharonov-Bohm effect...
Thanks. If I understand it correctly, the Aharonov-Bohm effect applies to electrically charged particles. Do you think an interference pattern will emerge if you replace it with "round magnetic objects of same shape, size and mass and speed"?

Thanks. If I understand it correctly, the Aharonov-Bohm effect applies to electrically charged particles. Do you think an interference pattern will emerge if you replace it with "round magnetic objects of same shape, size and mass and speed"?

Would be fun to try. Although make sure you calculate the DeBroglie wavelength of whatever you're trying to shoot through the slits. That will tell you whether you're apt to see quantum effects or not.

Would be fun to try. Although make sure you calculate the DeBroglie wavelength of whatever you're trying to shoot through the slits. That will tell you whether you're apt to see quantum effects or not.
Changing the strength of the magnets are also likely to play a role right?

Changing the strength of the magnets are also likely to play a role right?

Doesn't matter how strong your magnets are if the DeBroglie wavelength is too large. But you might get some different effects from higher field strengths (NMR, for example). Then again, the SQUID device works in extremely low fields. Thats almost what you drew.

Assuming that this experiment is somewhat velocity dependent(not sure), I wonder if the experimental aparatus itself could survive the mass impacts to produce results.