Double slit experiment with magnetic traps

In summary: You don't even need a measurable "transfer of information" to cause collapse. Any interaction with the environment will do it.
Marcin
1. Is it possible to perform the following, modified double-slit experiment with single electrons/electron beam: The slits are separated in such a way, that each leads to a separate magnetic trap. The traps have oppositely directed magnetic fields, so that the electrons entering them move in circles in opposite directions.
2. If 1., is it possible to measure magnetic induction on the axes of both circles, produced by electrons moving around the circles? There should be enough of them to produce a current with measurable intensity and measurable induction.

Goal is to check whether electrons in separate traps remained in superposition by measuring magnetic induction, which will determine the current.

Physics news on Phys.org
when the electron move in circular motion wouldn't start to accelerate ?

hagopbul said:
when the electron move in circular motion wouldn't start to accelerate ?
Indeed, it's centripetal acceleration.

Marcin said:
1. Is it possible to perform the following, modified double-slit experiment with single electrons/electron beam: The slits are separated in such a way, that each leads to a separate magnetic trap. The traps have oppositely directed magnetic fields, so that the electrons entering them move in circles in opposite directions.
2. If 1., is it possible to measure magnetic induction on the axes of both circles, produced by electrons moving around the circles? There should be enough of them to produce a current with measurable intensity and measurable induction.

Goal is to check whether electrons in separate traps remained in superposition by measuring magnetic induction, which will determine the current.

It seems to me that you simply have an elaborate mechanism for detecting which slit the electron went through?

Likes Vanadium 50
PeroK said:
It seems to me that you simply have an elaborate mechanism for detecting which slit the electron went through?
No. My goal is to keep superposition, to have the same electrons in both traps :) I've read, that even strong electric/magnetic fields do not cause the collapse of electron wavefunction.

intersting i didnt hear of entanglement that include acceleration

hagopbul said:
intersting i didnt hear of entanglement that include acceleration
Me neither, but entanglement is not superposition.

Last edited:
Marcin said:
No. My goal is to keep superposition, to have the same electrons in both traps :) I've read, that even strong electric/magnetic fields do not cause the collapse of electron wavefunction.

The wavefunction only collapes when a measurement is made. The electron remains in a superposition of the two possible spatial paths until you measure (or gain information about) what path is has taken. If you measure a current in one loop, then effectively the wave-function will collapse.

Keeping an electron in superposition is relatively easy. The superposition simply evolves through a magnetic field. In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, for example, the superposition of two spatial wavefunctions coupled to spin orientation is actually created by the magnetic field. It's the interaction with the screen (being detected) that eventually collapses the wave-function.

PeroK said:
The wavefunction only collapes when a measurement is made. The electron remains in a superposition of the two possible spatial paths until you measure (or gain information about) what path is has taken. If you measure a current in one loop, then effectively the wave-function will collapse.

Keeping an electron in superposition is relatively easy. The superposition simply evolves through a magnetic field. In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, for example, the superposition of two spatial wavefunctions coupled to spin orientation is actually created by the magnetic field. It's the interaction with the screen (being detected) that eventually collapses the wave-function.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I don't want to measure the current directly, but the magnetic induction, that the current induces. The idea is to make the indirect measurement, that will not cause the collapse.

Marcin said:
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I don't want to measure the current directly, but the magnetic induction, that the current induces. The idea is to make the indirect measurement, that will not cause the collapse.
It amounts to the same thing: information about which way the electron went.

PeroK said:
Are you sure, that the sole transfer of information causes the collapse, no matter how the information is transferred?

PeroK said:
Are you sure, that it's impossible to measure, that electron went both ways?

Marcin said:
Are you sure, that it's impossible to measure, that electron went both ways?

You can't measure that the electron was in both traps, because then there would have to be two electrons, not one.

Likes PeroK
Marcin said:
Are you sure, that the sole transfer of information causes the collapse, no matter how the information is transferred?

You don't even need a measurable "transfer of information" to cause collapse. Any interaction with the environment will do it. For example, these "magnetic traps" that you describe will be made of lots and lots of atoms. The electron will interact with those atoms, and that in itself could be enough to cause collapse, even without any intended measurement of current or magnetic induction. Experimenters in QM often have the problem of preventing the quantum object they want to measure from interacting with something else before they have a chance to make it interact with the measuring device.

PeroK said:

Marcin said:
No. My goal is to keep superposition, to have the same electrons in both traps :)

That may be your goal, but I don't think you've achieved this. I think all you've done is exactly what @PeroK said: devised n elaborate mechanism for detecting which slit the electron went through.

Marcin said:
That's one way to look at it. In a way "collapse" is really one way to describe or interpret the process of gaining information about a quantum system. It starts in a superposition of a certain observable - in the case of the double-slit that of the electron's path/position. As long as you do not obtain any information about the electron's path, the electron behaves according to that superposition. But, if you gain information about the path, then the electron behaves according to the "collapsed" wavefunction that describes only that path.

In this sense, and contrary to the popular science myth, an electron cannot be in two places at once. Not if "being in a place" means you have information that the electron was there.

PeterDonis said:
You don't even need a measurable "transfer of information" to cause collapse. Any interaction with the environment will do it. For example, these "magnetic traps" that you describe will be made of lots and lots of atoms. The electron will interact with those atoms, and that in itself could be enough to cause collapse, even without any intended measurement of current or magnetic induction. Experimenters in QM often have the problem of preventing the quantum object they want to measure from interacting with something else before they have a chance to make it interact with the measuring device.
What do you think about the same experiment with magnetic field, that does not cause the collapse:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/322739/double-slit-experiment-done-with-magnetic-fields

Marcin said:
What do you think about the same experiment with magnetic field, that does not cause the collapse:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/322739/double-slit-experiment-done-with-magnetic-fields

I looked at the first response and it asks: "Why would the fields collapse the wave function?" Exactly!

Collapse isn't a physical process that is induced by an EM field. On the contrary, QM describes the unitary evolution of the state of the electron in an EM field.

I believe you may be confused about what collapse means and why it is part or orthodox QM.

PeroK said:
I looked at the first response and it asks: "Why would the fields collapse the wave function?" Exactly!

Collapse isn't a physical process that is induced by an EM field. On the contrary, QM describes the unitary evolution of the state of the electron in an EM field.

I believe you may be confused about what collapse means and why it is part or orthodox QM.
It was my reply to @PeterDonis who wrote: "Any interaction with the environment will do it (cause the collapse)".

Marcin said:
What do you think about the same experiment with magnetic field, that does not cause the collapse

The magnetic field described there is not at all like the magnetic traps you described in your scenario. The magnetic field is a simple thing and so is its interaction with the electron. The magnetic trap contains a magnetic field, but it also contains lots of atoms, which, as I said, can also interact with the electron. The latter interaction is what can cause collapse (and what experimenters working with magnetic traps have to work so hard to avoid, for example by cooling the traps to near absolute zero).

Marcin said:
It was my reply to @PeterDonis who wrote: "Any interaction with the environment will do it (cause the collapse)".
I missed Peter's responses while I was typing one of mine. It can happen with this user interface.

PeroK said:
I missed Peter's responses while I was typing one of mine. It can happen with this user interface.
No problem. Do you agree with his latest answer: "The magnetic trap contains a magnetic field, but it also contains lots of atoms, which, as I said, can also interact with the electron. The latter interaction is what can cause collapse"

Marcin said:
No problem. Do you agree with his latest answer: "The magnetic trap contains a magnetic field, but it also contains lots of atoms, which, as I said, can also interact with the electron. The latter interaction is what can cause collapse"
I would say this is a separate, practical issue. These experiments can be very delicate to set up. For example, in quantum computing it's very difficult to keep the system in the state it should be in and prevent the "environment" from spoiling things.

From that point of view it's difficult to conduct certain QM experiments. In these cases, I imagine, the electron would simply disappear from your experiment.

From that point of view, controlled superpositions can be hard to maintain.

PeroK said:

You don't need to measure anything to "decohere" (which is what you obviously mean by "collapse"). It's enough to bring your system in thermal equilibrium with the environment, which is very easy to do (unfortunately for many applications you'd need to keep things coherent).

vanhees71 said:
You don't need to measure anything to "decohere" (which is what you obviously mean by "collapse"). It's enough to bring your system in thermal equilibrium with the environment, which is very easy to do (unfortunately for many applications you'd need to keep things coherent).

I wasn't thinking of decoherence, simply orthodox collapse (which you may or may not subscribe to). In any case, it may be worth explaining what you mean in the context of the "magnetic traps" in the original post.

Vanadium 50 said:
That may be your goal, but I don't think you've achieved this. I think all you've done is exactly what @PeroK said: devised n elaborate mechanism for detecting which slit the electron went through.
I disagree, because after the measurement of magnetic induction in both traps I still know nothing about the paths of individual electrons.

Marcin said:
I disagree, because after the measurement of magnetic induction in both traps I still know nothing about the paths of individual electrons.

Yes, you do: you know that there is an electron in one trap and no electron in the other. So you know the electron went through the slit in front of the trap that has an electron in it.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Yes, you do: you know that there is an electron in one trap and no electron in the other. So you know the electron went through the slit in front of the trap that has an electron in it.
You are right on one condition: that there was a collapse. But you can know it only by the measurement. You can't use the ad infinitum argumentation: the electron is in just one of the traps, because there was a collapse. Why there was a collapse? Because the electron is in just one of the traps.

Marcin said:
You are right on one condition: that there was a collapse.

No, what I have said is true for any interpretation of QM, including no collapse interpretations. In a no collapse interpretation like the MWI, there are two branches of the wave function after the measurement, one in which the electron is in the trap behind slit #1 and the magnetic induction measurement shows it there (and the observer observes that), and one in which the electron is in the trap behind slit #2 and the magnetic induction measurement shows it there (and the observer observes that).

Marcin said:
you can know it only by the measurement.

The magnetic induction measurement...is a measurement. That's why we use expressions like, oh, say, "measure the magnetic induction" (which is what you said in the OP of this thread) to describe it.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Marcin said:
You are right on one condition: that there was a collapse. But you can know it only by the measurement. You can't use the ad infinitum argumentation: the electron is in just one of the traps, because there was a collapse. Why there was a collapse? Because the electron is in just one of the traps.
This is perhaps a good time to pause, reflect and consider learning a bit more about QM, what it says and what it doesn't say.

There is not a lot of point in arguing about things that are well-established, theoretically and experimentally.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
This is perhaps a good time to pause, reflect and consider learning a bit more about QM, what it says and what it doesn't say.

There is not a lot of point in arguing about things that are well-established, theoretically and experimentally.
Thx for all the answers.

PeterDonis said:
The magnetic induction measurement...is a measurement. That's why we use expressions like, oh, say, "measure the magnetic induction" (which is what you said in the OP of this thread) to describe it.
Correct. The difference is that I don't measure the effect or presence of a single electron, but the effect caused by the whole bunch of them. This is my idea of preventing the collapse of individual electrons, however stupid it sounds.

Marcin said:
I don't measure the effect or presence of a single electron, but the effect caused by the whole bunch of them.

In other words, you run a large number of electrons through the experiment, and then measure the magnetic induction in each of the traps?

Marcin said:
This is my idea of preventing the collapse of individual electrons

It won't.

First, you'll have the problem that magnetic traps can't store large numbers of electrons--the Pauli exclusion principle prevents it (there are only a small number of states the electrons in the trap can be in, and once those states are filled you're done, the trap can't hold any more electrons).

Second, when you do the magnetic induction measurement, you'll just get two numbers for magnetic induction that will be approximately equal (since each electron has basically a 50-50 chance to go into one trap vs. the other). You won't get anything that shows interference between the electrons (which pretty much invalidates the point of doing a double slit experiment in the first place).

Third, even though you have multiple electrons in both traps, you haven't "prevented collapse"; you've just changed the states that the electrons collapse into when you make the magnetic induction measurement, as compared to the case where you only have one electron and it has a 50-50 chance to be in either trap. (The states change because if the presence of multiple electrons in the trap affects the energy levels of the states, due to the Coulomb repulsion between the electrons.)

Likes vanhees71 and Marcin
@PeterDonis I get it, you've made it clear. Thank you.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman

1. What is the double slit experiment with magnetic traps?

The double slit experiment with magnetic traps is a variation of the classic double slit experiment, which is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics. In this variation, a magnetic field is used to trap particles, such as electrons, and control their movement through two slits in a barrier. This allows for the study of the wave-particle duality of matter.

2. How does the double slit experiment with magnetic traps work?

In this experiment, a magnetic field is used to trap charged particles, such as electrons, and control their movement through two slits in a barrier. The particles are then directed towards a screen where they create an interference pattern, similar to the classic double slit experiment. However, in this variation, the magnetic field can be adjusted to change the behavior of the particles, providing insight into their wave-like and particle-like properties.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment with magnetic traps?

The double slit experiment with magnetic traps is significant because it provides further evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter. It also allows for the manipulation and control of particles, which has potential applications in quantum computing and other technologies.

4. What are the potential limitations of the double slit experiment with magnetic traps?

One potential limitation of this experiment is that it can only be performed on charged particles. Additionally, the magnetic field used to trap the particles may also affect their behavior, making it difficult to isolate the effects of the slits on the interference pattern.

5. How is the double slit experiment with magnetic traps relevant to real-world applications?

The double slit experiment with magnetic traps has potential applications in quantum computing, where the manipulation and control of particles is crucial. It also has implications for the development of new technologies, such as sensors and detectors, that rely on the wave-like and particle-like properties of matter.