Double Slits, Calculating Wavelength

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The following data was obtained upon using a double-slit experiment. Use this data to determine the wavelength of light being used to create the interference pattern. Do this in three different ways.

- The angle to the eight maximum is 1.12°
- The distance from the slits to the screen is 302 cm
- The distance from the first minimum to the fifth minimum is 2.95cm
- The distance between the slits is 0.025cm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My work is shown in this image: http://gyazo.com/b9625064b97100febb726a6f6a12236a

I believe I have interpreted the information correctly. I also believe methods 1 and 3 are correct as they were the most obvious. I have placed a series of question marks on method 2, which I am having trouble understanding. I don't believe they have given me sufficient information to solve this problem as is.

After I have 3 values for wavelength, I plan to average them out to get a final answer.

Does anyone have any insight to this? I seem to be missing a very important variable and I'm not sure how to go about it.

Answers and Replies

STEMucator
Homework Helper
Friendly bump, Is it safe to say this problem is not solvable?

If I knew the distance from a nodal line to the right bisector I could solve this, but I can't see how to get it for some reason.

All I seem to know is the distance between two consecutive nodal points, namely ##\Delta x = 0.7375cm##.

Would that mean half of that distance, ##\frac{\Delta x}{2}##, is the distance between a node and an antinode?

If so, could I not consider the distance between the central maximum (which is exactly where the right bisector would happen to be) and the closest node to it? That would give me a workable value of ##x_1 = \frac{\Delta x}{2}## and ##n = 1##.

This doesn't feel right to me though, does anyone have any thoughts?