1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slits, Calculating Wavelength

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The following data was obtained upon using a double-slit experiment. Use this data to determine the wavelength of light being used to create the interference pattern. Do this in three different ways.

- The angle to the eight maximum is 1.12°
    - The distance from the slits to the screen is 302 cm
    - The distance from the first minimum to the fifth minimum is 2.95cm
    - The distance between the slits is 0.025cm

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My work is shown in this image: http://gyazo.com/b9625064b97100febb726a6f6a12236a

I believe I have interpreted the information correctly. I also believe methods 1 and 3 are correct as they were the most obvious. I have placed a series of question marks on method 2, which I am having trouble understanding. I don't believe they have given me sufficient information to solve this problem as is.

After I have 3 values for wavelength, I plan to average them out to get a final answer.

Does anyone have any insight to this? I seem to be missing a very important variable and I'm not sure how to go about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Friendly bump, Is it safe to say this problem is not solvable?

If I knew the distance from a nodal line to the right bisector I could solve this, but I can't see how to get it for some reason.

All I seem to know is the distance between two consecutive nodal points, namely ##\Delta x = 0.7375cm##.

Would that mean half of that distance, ##\frac{\Delta x}{2}##, is the distance between a node and an antinode?

If so, could I not consider the distance between the central maximum (which is exactly where the right bisector would happen to be) and the closest node to it? That would give me a workable value of ##x_1 = \frac{\Delta x}{2}## and ##n = 1##.

This doesn't feel right to me though, does anyone have any thoughts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted