Doubt about the 1st Law of Maxwell

In summary, the electric field due to a disk of radius R on the z axis is not always zero, but it should be because the volumetric density of charge is zero. The error in your reasoning is that you calculated the divergence of the field (from the expressions I left above) but did not take into account that the charge density is not zero outside the disk.
Cloruro de potasio
Good afternoon,

My question concerns Maxwell's first law. Knowing the formula of the electric field created by a uniformly charged disk, we calculate its divergence and evaluate it at one point, it does not give us zero, as it should be because the volumetric density of charge is zero, why does this happen? Where is the error in my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cloruro de potasio said:
we calculate its divergence and evaluate it at one point, it does not give us zero, as it should
Please post your case !

Likes vanhees71
Cloruro de potasio said:
we calculate its divergence and evaluate it at one point, it does not give us zero, as it should be because the volumetric density of charge is zero, why does this happen? Where is the error in my reasoning?
In the disk the charge density will not be zero. Outside the disk the charge density will be zero. If you violate Gauss' law anywhere then you made a math error.

The electric field due to a disk of radius R on the z axis is:

1579106937987.png

And its divergence will be:

1579106966003.png

That evaluated at a point other than z = 0 is not necessarily zero, I know there has to be an error in my reasoning but I am not able to find it.

## \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} ##
Is the most common form because in real life we get volume charge distributions. See, this is how we find electric field for volume distribution of charges $$ \mathbf{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int_V \frac{\rho (\vec r)}{r^2} dV $$ but you must have seen (or used) this form $$ \mathbf{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int_L \frac{\lambda (\vec r)}{r^2} dl $$ So, for the case that you have posted we need to write the 1st equation of Electrostatics as $$ \nabla \cdot \mathbf E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}$$

Okay, but still ... at points outside the disk, the surface charge density is zero, but according to my calculations the divergence of E is not ...

Cloruro de potasio said:
Okay, but still ... at points outside the disk, the surface charge density is zero, but according to my calculations the divergence of E is not ...
Take any closed surface not containing the disk, then $$ \oint_S \vec E \cdot d\vec a = Q_{enclosed}/ \epsilon_0$$ since no charge is contained therefore the right side is zero, $$ \oint_S \vec E \cdot d\vec a = 0 $$ But by divergence theorem we can write that $$ \int_V (\nabla \cdot \vec E ) dV = \oint_S \vec E \cdot d\vec a \\
\int_V (\nabla \cdot \vec E ) dV =0 \\
\nabla \cdot \vec E= 0$$

Yes, I agree that I should give zero, what happens is that calculating the divergence of the field (from the expressions I left above), does not give zero ...

Cloruro de potasio said:
Yes, I agree that I should give zero, what happens is that calculating the divergence of the field (from the expressions I left above), does not give zero ...
That’s not working because the charge density is zero everywhere but suddenly reach to ##\sigma## as we enter the disk and hence we need delta function for that. You try to to calculate the divergence of an electric field of a single point charge then I assure you that you will get zero for that everywhere. But it should not be zero at the place where the point charge is.

When you calculated the divergence in your earlier post you took ##\sigma## as constant but ## \frac{\partial \sigma}{\partial x} ## is not zero, ##\sigma## is varying (abruptly from the disk to the outside of it)

Last edited by a moderator:
∇⋅E = dEx/dx + dEy/dy + dEz/dz
On the z axis, Ex and Ey are zero, but dEx/dx and dEy/dy are not.

Likes beamie564, BvU, jtbell and 1 other person
Cloruro de potasio said:
You cannot calculate divergence from a formula that is restricted to the z axis.

You need to use a formula for the electric field throughout space, not just on the z axis.

mjc123 said:
∇⋅E = dEx/dx + dEy/dy + dEz/dz
On the z axis, Ex and Ey are zero, but dEx/dx and dEy/dy are not.
To see this more explicitly, consider the simpler example of a point charge at the origin. Calculate the partial derivatives for a general point (x,y,z), then set x = y = 0 for a point on the z-axis.

Cloruro de potasio said:

That expression that you used is ONLY VALID along the z-axis! You cannot use that as the only field for all space!

That is the most obvious error in your calculation.

Zz.

Likes vanhees71
Cloruro de potasio said:

View attachment 255645
And its divergence will be:

View attachment 255646
That evaluated at a point other than z = 0 is not necessarily zero, I know there has to be an error in my reasoning but I am not able to find it.
You cannot evaluate the divergence without knowing the electric field everywhere!

@Cloruro de potasio : is it clear to you now that you will need ##{\partial E\over \partial x}## and ##{\partial E\over \partial y}## at your chosen point (where they are equal) and add them to ##{\partial E\over \partial z}## to get 0 ?

It's
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\partial_x E_x + \partial_y E_y + \partial_z E_z.$$

Likes BvU

What is the first law of Maxwell?

The first law of Maxwell, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How does the first law of Maxwell relate to Newton's first law of motion?

The first law of Maxwell is essentially the same as Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What evidence supports the first law of Maxwell?

The first law of Maxwell is supported by numerous experiments and observations, including the fact that objects in motion tend to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force, and objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force.

Are there any exceptions to the first law of Maxwell?

There are no known exceptions to the first law of Maxwell. However, in the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance, an object's motion may be affected and not remain constant.

How does the first law of Maxwell apply to everyday life?

The first law of Maxwell applies to everyday life in many ways, such as when a car comes to a stop at a red light or when a ball rolls down a hill. It also helps explain why objects continue to move in a straight line unless acted upon by a force, which is important in fields such as engineering and physics.